Monday, December 04, 2006

End of one Project, Beginning of the Next


Diamond Challenge:
I am almost finished with this Diamond, lacking hand quilting in 2 of the 4 corners, and in the border triangles. After seeing it here in my blog, I think it still needs more quilting - maybe a diagonal (diamond) grid. I also will block this project before calling it 'finished.' I am naming this something like Botswana Diamonds, since the Challenge theme is “Diamonds”. There are numerous diamond mines in Botswana, South Africa. I did some unobtrusive machine stitching in the ditch with silver thread, representing diamonds. But Botswana has other ‘diamonds’ – treasures, such as its wildlife. So I quilted a sable antelope in one corner, a baobab tree in another. I have yet to quilt the hyena pup, and lion.

Now, my question ... my center is sewn perfectly, but it also takes up too much visual space, so I want to add ... something. I have wooden beads, hand-made twine, but so far, no other ideas. I cannot find appropriate buttons, – these are some of the ideas I’ve been thinking about to help fill up the large space in the center. Any ideas? Dimensional something or other ... Remember, I live way out in western Nebraska, shopping for ‘just the perfect thing’ is not reasonable – it has to be something I can make myself.


Next project is paper-pieced, from a pattern by Karen Stone. I seem to be working on patterns these days - I am unable to come up with my own original ideas, (due to other things heavy on my mind), but hers are splendid - much more interesting than I could ever devise. I have chosen a pallette of pinks, rose, greens, pinky browns, dark browns, a bit of deep purple.

I am going out of town on family business for two weeks, and want a wonderful project waiting for me upon return.

9 comments:

  1. The large center fabric looks like earth ... a mine? How about scattering something that sparkles like diamonds within it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elaine, your Diamond quilt top is just spectacular! A very strong piece, which seems quite fitting, given the subject. I hesitate to suggest anything to further add to it. But only because I'm not sure where you intend to add it. I think the dark green star type points are really what "socks it to me" visually. Seems like you'd have to be doing something equally "strong" further out or it would just be busy.
    Maybe the time away from it will produce an answer. Don't forget the possibilities of embroidery.
    Nothing wrong with using great patterns and idea from quilters like Karen Stone! Hugs, Finn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is wonderful but I am afraid I am not very good at embelishing so no help there. THe new one you are starting looks very interesting too. Is it paper pieced?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Karen Stone's work too, tho I've never finished the one quilt I was doing off of her Indian Orange Peel pattern - too hard for me to do the curves. Sorry no ideas for the center of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful work! I love the incorporation of the wildlife in the quilt. A country's most valuable resource is its people, and having something to represent them in the center would be most fitting, I think. Now, as usual with me, that is a great jumping off spot but I have NO ideas how to go about including it in your wonderful quilt. Some people like me have great ideas...........then there are others who can act on them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Embellishing is not my thing either, but appreciating beautiful work is. thanks for the glimpse Elaine, just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a wonderful quilt. I like the addition of the african 'treasures' It's the little details like that that make a quilt your own.
    Which Karen Stone pattern are you going to do?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love those diamonds -- great choice of fabrics! If you still think you need something in the middle, have you thought about an appliqued, slightly stuffed animal of some sort - elephant or tiger, done as silouette? Such an exotic diamond...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your diamond quilt is spectacular. The Karen Stone quilt will be lovely as well. I have many of her patterns but have not come around to make anything yet.
    I hope what is heavy on your mind gets better real soon.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.