Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Scallops - DONE

This pretty book, and scallop tool are both by Darlene Zimmerman. The book helps in designing scallop borders - there are more kinds than I would have thought! There are no quilt patterns, but many quilt border pictures and excellent instructions for the scallops. You don't NEED the book -- instructions come with the tool -- I just WANTED the book - it's delightful! I believe the tool was less than $10.00. EZ Quilt, Wrights are brand name, I found the scallop tool easy to use. There are 2 different sizes of tools in the packet, and each size is totally adjustable, for any size border. It's hard to see them in this photo as they are nearly clear plastic.

I have never made scallops before - and I never did hand blanket stitch either. I used the fusible applique method, where you face the applique with fusible interfacing, turn it right side out and fuse down. The blanket stitch added a little more thickness than wanted for this particular project, but it's quite passable. Also, the white machine quilting is good - I used a 50 wt. thread. But on the chain, I used a heavier thread on one of the chains, and decided it also was too heavy for this project. I DID leave it in, since this is a sample, but the other 3 chains were done in a lighter weight thread. I used bobbin thread on the back. Live and learn. This project is for a friend's class sample. It's small, about 42 inches.

I first drew the scallops on freezer paper, because I wasn't sure what I was doing, but they turned out just fine first time 'round, so next time I'll probably draw them right on the fabric.

We don't see scallops on many quilts - pity, as they are not that difficult. They certainly add charm to a quilt.

12 comments:

  1. The scalloped border was a wonderful idea Elaine. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I just added that book to my *library* and it's a great resource not just on scallops but and a variety of edges and finishes. Well worth the $$ spent.

    The only type of applique I do is fusible and stitch down by hand using the blanket stitch.

    You sound like me with your *evaluation*. When I finish a quilt I like to look at what worked well for me, what needs more practice, and what I need to do differently next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen those scallop tools and often wondered if they were any good. I have one quilt with a scalloped edge and really like the look. It would be much easier to do with the tool though I am thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scallop gives the quilt such a sweet look. Thanks for the recommendation on the scallop tool. I want every quilting notion on the market (who doesn't?), but am trying not to get things until I need them and, hopefully, know someone who has already used and liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the scallops. They do add that little something to the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the scallops, Elaine! Thanks for the tip on the Easy Scallops tool and the book. I've never done scallops either, but I really really like the look of them. Hmmmm, guess I'll have to add the book and tool to my 'order' list...I've been buying quilt books lately like there will never be another printed. LOL And of course I'm a notions junkie too so I just have to have the tool, right??? ROFL Your quilt is really a cute piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a real cute sampler. I saw the scallops tool but have shyed away from it. I might just have to give it a try. Yours borders certainly turned out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thos scalloped edges really add punch to that piece. Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been too chicken to try scallops; I don't want to mess up a whole quilt top. You're making me feel a bit braver tho - maybe I'll try it on a cheater panel. Yours is certainly beautiful, and you're right, it really adds charm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely scallops. What a handy tool. I am hoping to go visit a quilt shop today. I will have to see what goodies they have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the scallops a lot! Very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember seeing Darlene as a guest on Sewing With Nancy and she demo'd making scalloped edges. They always are pretty but I've not thought about trying them myself. Perhaps I will eventually.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.