Sunday, September 09, 2007

Can you Recapture a Memory?

I have been wondering why my recent visit to Florida was less than expected, even though it’s main purpose was to visit my Mother, now in a Care Facility. I saw the manatees, saw the dolphins, visited a great quilt shop, took 2 boat excursions, and pieced a quilt top, my DH enjoyed himself - and I am happy to see that my Mother is OK, just not like she used to be... I’m even able to pay the costs without too much strain on the budget. Still, unlike my normal goody-two-shoes attitude, I was not greatly pleased with this trip.

I WANTED to relive the memories, but now, all the parts are different. Mom is different, Grandma is long gone, my sister was not there to visit, places I visited in my previous life, just aren’t the same. Those memories happened in my first life. Memories of another life, long over – bittersweet.

I was expecting to recapture memories.

You cannot recapture a memory - it’s just that - a memory – and even though we don’t realize it today, we are making memories for down the road.

6 comments:

  1. Good post. Very insightful. Thanks I needed that today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is ever so true. Love the rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my Mom died a good friend told me - remember the good old memories and tradtions, but make some NEW ones of your very own. It was good advice. Hugs to you Elaine, as bitter-sweet times are just that.

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what you're experiencing just means you are ready to give it up--the longing for a time that just doesn't exist any more. Hard to experience, but maybe it makes you more content with the present.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you, when I lost my Grandparents that raised me most of my life, I never felt the same way about where I grew up...

    My Grandpa died first then several years later Grandma... I started to realize it was never going to be the same and when she died, I knew it was never going to be what it was to me growing up... I had long since moved from there, living in a different state...

    Without them being there to greet me and for me to spend my time with, it wasn't my home anymore...

    I said when my Grandma passed I would probably never return again and to this point I have not...

    Its not a bitter thing or a negative thing, it is just the way it is...They were what made that my home...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely post Elaine.
    I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.