Sunday, January 13, 2008
My version of Star Struck
I've finished another "Bonnie" project - at least this top is finished. The stars are on point, and the quilt top is 72 x 82 inches. I was pleasantly surprised to find this quilt went together very accurately, despite my occasional ... uhhhmmmm ... casual sewing. Try it - you'll like it!
NO shirts were hurt during the making of this quilt top. I HAD shirtings (thanks Keepsake Catalog) and also a lot of blues from my stash. (My REAL shirts are under one of the beds, somewhere here.)
Total purchases for this quilt top was one quarter yard that I ended up not using.
The border? LOVE those teensy triangles -- bonus pieces (1 inch finished) from all the quick corners in the quilt. (I also have a bunch of finished RED teensy one-inch triangles, put away for another time.) They 'neaten' up the project, don't they?
I may hand quilt this one, but it's finished to this point. Thanks Bonnie!
Now, on another subject, I have decided, in 2008, to track all my quilting costs - a daunting process to actually face the truth, but I've started an Excel spreadsheet, and every single penny spent on any aspect of sewing/quilting/fabric goes on that spreadsheet. This idea came from Judy Laquidara. I also decided to add each amount of fabric IN, vs. each amount of fabric OUT (or done). If any of you can suggest how much fabric is "in" a certain size quilt top, please feel free to comment. I'm guessing Baby Quilt Top = about 2 yards. Lap Quilt = about 5 yards. After that, no guess at all! OK, backings are pretty easy. Believe it or not, I HAVE definitely seen a slight reduction in my stash - at least most of the fabric drawers actually close, but I've also moved a lot to under-the-bed storage boxes, so maybe I'm fooling myself.
Three nice little quilts went to Project Linus, so they are OUT THE DOOR! YEAH for me, and YEAH for nice gifts to children.