Sunday, February 17, 2008

Quilt Guild Meeting


Gotta show the pretty tulips! There's a little red teddy bear in there somewhere. I dug around my 'stuff' and found a second one to join him.

Yesterday was quilt guild day and the program was Hunter Star. These are the batiks I chose. I made just 4 blocks, keeping my project do-able. The instructor (thanks Joy!) did not use this book, but I had it already and would recommend it. This book by Jan Krentz, is beautiful, based on the Hunter Star. This pattern can be made a bazillion ways, and her book is plum full of lovely photos and ideas.

The sample packets of batting (below) are made from corn -- one is 100% corn, and other is 50% corn and 50% cotton batting, marketed by Mountain Mist. Interesting - they both feel good to me. The one with cotton in it had a bit more 'grab' to it. Recently on a mail list, they were talking about another new type of batting made of bamboo fibers.

This is my unquilted project. While the layout looks complicated, it was not (as is often the truth). I DID use a nifty 45 degree diamond ruler that helped keep the angle accurate. The light streaks were coming in the window, a very welcome sign that spring might be showing up eventually.

10 comments:

  1. Hunters star is one of the blocks on my definately to do list. I have not made one but really really want to. Yours is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaine, I love the fabrics you chose for your hunter's star block. The tulips are beautiful and I'd love to see some popping up outside very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that book too but haven't dug in yet, it's so pretty!
    Ohm the tulips -- they're so elegant, I just love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elaine,..so nice to see you at guild. Love the fabric you chose for the Hunter's Star. The class looked so interesting, but so glad we headed home before the weather changed at home. Take care.
    Deb aka FLO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those tupips are just gorgeous!

    Like the look of your Hunters Star.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the glimse of Spring with the tulips! It is so cold here at home that Spring hasn't shown any sign yet. I figured out how to leave comments, so here's my first to you. You are a continuing inspiration to this internet novice. Thanks so much.

    Julie in T.H. Ca.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hunter Star is one of my favorite quilts and your fabric choice is great. I have only made one sample block from that book so far. Now you are inspiring me to get started!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The batting sounds interesting. I have not heard anything about the corn batting but have heard about the bamboo batting. Now I hope someone will use theirs so I can hear how it quilts up. I have never heard of the Hunters Star either. Very nice job and I love your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just beautiful! I'll have to keep the book in mind. I love the Hunter Star pattern but have yet to make one.

    Never heard of bamboo batting though we definitely have the bamboo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a beautiful block. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.