Sunday, May 25, 2008

New tote bag

I promised myself I was NOT going to purchase another iron, after the last one's Steam feature lasted less than 4 months, despite me following the directions for the appropriate water. Well, I couldn't stand it any longer, having to spray with a bottle, then press, spray more, etc. The purchase of a new iron gave me a 'lift', and an incentive to cover my board with something fresh and clean. This ticking came out of my stash of "free stuff." I've learned to use a cover with stripes -- it makes a handy pressing guide.

My tote bag is well used/well loved. The best part of this bag is that it holds my 18 x 22 inch cutting mat. And, it is extremely strong! That webbing goes all around and could probably hold a toddler! The handle can go over shoulders or carry in your hands.
Some quilting gals have commented about my 'old' one, and Quilt Guild is asking for items for a Silent Auction, so ... I'll make another - the pattern is from this Singer book.

This is NOT quick and easy, but it IS extremely durable and strong. There is a lining, an inner lining, batting, four 9-inch blocks, webbing and fabric. No new materials were used in this tote - all was stash, and pieced batting.
It's made like a large panel. I added 2 Star blocks and 2 Contrary Wife blocks with a minimum of machine quilting. Sewing down that webbing was slow going is a couple of places, but my machine went along just fine. Oh, if you purchase webbing, do NOT press it!!! I added 2 outer pockets, and there is one inside.

I chose to make it somewhat patriotic, as the Silent Auction is in July, -- well I need to use that brushed denim too!

17 comments:

  1. A wonderful tote bag, Elaine! Fingers crossed it will do great at the auction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tote bag is great. I would be tempted to buy it myself and have 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear it must be the season for irons. I have had my top of the line Sunbeam (may be just an Aussie brand) for just over 12 months. It was a replacement for another that had failed, and I think there may be another failed on in there. My original I had for about 20 yrs and it was stuck together in the end. I rang the so called service person today and she was so so rude and unhelpful.
    Oh yes take it to a place about 30 mins away, leave it and then come back when the new one arrrives.
    Can you not have the new one there for me? I have chronic fatigue and have problems driving...that is your problem madam........grrrrrr
    I would love to chose another brand but I love this iron. Unfortunately they also only take the warranty from when you purchased it, so according to that mine is well out of warranty even if only a yr old. They will replace it......But only with me doing two trips. I bought a cheap replacement one as I gave my last replacement one to a charity house an this one is not as good as the one I gave away.
    Them's the breaks. I love a good iron.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the irons! They are the most irritating piece of equipment in our sewing rooms! Love the tote. Great way to use orphan blocks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful tote, Elaine! I agree they don't make irons like they used to in the 'old days'. *s*

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great tote! Good luck on the auction! I think it will do very well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice tutorial on totes. A tote tutorial. Oooo... I love an alliteration. When I make totes I always do the webbing like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That tote is adorable and I'm sure it will do very well at the silent auction!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great tote. The recent Fons & Porter had a pattern similar to this. I'd love an easy way to tote my mat. Too bad I'm not in your guild, I'd bid on yours myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the tote....I love all sizes and shapes...I wonder if there is a 'perfect iron'..Maine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bummer about the iron, but it sure is a pretty ironing board cover. Love the new tote bag!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love love love the tote. I don't need another one, but I'm SURE I would bid on that one. And I agree with all the iron-bashing. They're frustrating and seem to be always on the fritz.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the tote bag. Great job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing your tote bag! Love it and the colors are so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a great idea about the striped ironing board cover - very clever!
    And I love your tote bag. I too have an affinity for totes. This looks like an excellent pattern. I wonder if I have that book??
    I seem to have to buy a new iron every year or so. I don't think irons are meant for the amount of useage that quilters give them! Mine never hold up, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant Tote Bag! It looks wonderfully sturdy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Elaine - I have a Maytag cordless which I love but it's about 4 years old now and beginning to sputter a bit. It's pricey but I think I would buy another if it really bites the dust. Love the tote - we make 12 1/2" patriotic blocks each July to auction in the guild meeting. I've been buying one or two every year, saving up for a quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.