Sunday, August 31, 2008

Over 65 - Getting Crowded



Yesterday I counted the number of quilts -- FINISHED QUILTS -- still IN my house, IN use, etc. I am not counting those I've given away.

At my last quick count, there are over 65 DONE and in the closet, in a huge basket, hanging, folded in the linen closet upstairs, on the bed, downstairs in the extra closet, 2 on the dilapidated hide-a-bed, a bunch on the ladder DH made for me, 1 on the guest bed (hey, I never showed that one yet!). This number does NOT count the "#1 Gobsmackered Kaleidoscope" WIP near finished on my sewing table.

And ... on the other side of the Studio, my DH makes his boats. These are also accumulating, in our not-large house. He has 30 boats - He NEVER has UFOs, only has one WIP at a time - so disciplined! Each boat is 2-3 feet in length size. This one is a Rum Runner.
Sometimes I get to wishing we owned a larger house, but then there's more to keep tidy ... but maybe a large room for a long-arm ????

My mother would say, "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride", which always confused me, but now I finally understand. (I have always wanted to design a quilt with that title.)

13 comments:

  1. That would be a good quote to use with wonky letters. Maybe you need a studio or gallery just to keep your quilts and boats in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a lot of quilts. Yhey are most likely all very lovly and it is very hard giving away such beautiful pieces of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pictures of stacks of quilts, and now I love pictures of lots of hanging quilts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely collection of your quilts! You do nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't want to count mine - before we moved to Minneapolis I had quilts on all the beds in the house and our condo in the GA Mountains. My least favorite ones I left for my son but brought most of them with me plus the ones from the walls and the sofa quilts....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That is a lot of quilts! What a wonderful collection you have. I was surprised, when I gathered all the quilts up when we were moving, at how many I had, but I don't come close to your number! Maybe someday . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very impressive! you have enough quilts to do a great trunk show for a guild. And you get paid for talking about yourself and your quilts. The other side of the coin is all of the packing and unpacking to do that, so continue our virtual show on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like some beautiful quilts - maybe you could do a show and tell post.

    My fantasy house has a walk in closet just for quilt and fabric storage, but hasn't happened yet!

    I just counted mine, my mother's and my grandmother's quilts all over the house. There's 60 of all sizes from wall hangings to queen bed quilts. And I have no idea how many I have made to give away. Probably 40 baby quilts and 20 bed quilts. I just love to piece, although I hire the quilting most of the time (Mom did all hers by hand). That's how it will have to be until that windfall happens and I buy a longarm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!

    Love the photo of stacked quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful quilts.
    I wish Gom had a hobby. I would gladly house it somehow!

    My Grandmother & mother used that 'If wishes were horses' saying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post! It gives me wings to keep creating and quilting no matter how many are "already done." Love it, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. a photo a day week please of all your wonderful quilts. Maybe we could start a quiltphoto Monday club or some aelgcksuch day.
    don't get a bigger house, unless you can affort a maid, and then that is money that could be spent on quilting. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. A long time ago you and I wrote back and forth about quilt making and you very wisely pointed out to me that the smaller lap quilts are easier to transport for show & tell! I can see that you have alot of experience behind those words!!! I am TRYING to make some smaller quilts because I am finding truth in your words. Lovely collection you have there. I have a big collection too but find it hard to part with them - especially since SCHOOL Boy adores each and every one of them so.
    Cheers!
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.