Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Simple is good -- Checkers



This project was posted unquilted a while ago, but it's now beautifully quilted by Anita of Prairie Creations, a friend and fellow guild member. Isn't it gorgeous? There is a simple grid in the center and various leaves, vines, dragonflies, butterflies quilted around the border. This is a large quilt, approx. 90 x 105 inches. It's now bound and only lacks a label.

A while ago, ONE OF YOU asked on YOUR blog, "What's on YOUR bed?", I kinda cringed when I looked at how sad my current quilt looked after 10 years of use, and abuse. When cool days return, this new "Checkers" will be on my bed.

If you look closely, you will see it is simply 4-patches and pinwheels - how easy is that? But the pinwheels DO have a determined direction, so if you choose to make this one, look closely. I believe any colors would work, as long as they are lights and darks. My palette is the same as I usually love, I call them 'foresty colors' - muted greens, browns, deep eggplant, melon, etc.

There are 4 bright blue pinwheels that at first, didn't 'go', but in fact, are now playing an important role in the quilt.

The inspiration for this quilt came from one of my books, and a Better Homes and Gardens photo, and Bonnie at www.quiltville.com.

This was such an easy yet effective project, I might just make another smaller one for Project Linus, using some of my leftover kids prints!

21 comments:

  1. Tt's beautiful! It will be a treat to sleep under it every night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful quilt! It would a treat to sleep under it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous and the best part is that it LOOKS incredibly complex and difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this quilt!!! What a great use of scraps. I've always admired Bonnie's but yours takes the cake. Great job. And, I know you'll enjoy it on your bed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Forest quilt for the prairie in Nebraska!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one gets a WOW from me. So simple yet so effective. I'm gonna save the page for plagerizing in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love simple too. Mostly fabric needs to speak in my quilts so I hate to snip it up into tiny pieces. This quilt will look darling on your bed. I have to laugh. I am the same way. I've had an old quilt on my bed and the new ones I've made just sit folded up. Its like the shoemaker with old shoes. So I stopped doing that this year. Its fun to have a new quilt on the bed. I ruined a quilt my mother made me (one of the last ones she made) by using it on my bed and since then I've been very stingy with using quilts. Which is so silly- I have dozens and dozens and dozens!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Third Paula here. This is a great looking quilt with such a simple idea. It will keep you toasty on those cold Nebraska nights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cool quilt! I love how the pinwheels transform the patch blocks. I enlarged the photo and I still have a hard time picking out the wheels. Your borders are so great with it. It will look super on your bed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such an impressive quilt! What a study in how light and dark can create illusions and dimensions. The quilting is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful, I don't think I'd be able to wait, I'd have to at least lay it across the bottom of the bed. It certainly doesn't look like 'simply 4-patches and pinwheels'. I love the fall colors, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a great quilt! It looks so complex that you could look at it for hours. Soothing colors - and love that blue POP in it! Your border is just the right amount of complexity and contrast. It's a nice finish. You should be proud of yourself - good job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elaine, I love it. It is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elaine, I love it! It's a terrific quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful!

    Mom and I made a smaller version last year as a donation quilt in greens and beiges.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely quilt :-) I really like 4-patches.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous!

    4-patches and pinwheels quilt has been on my list to do to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Simply lovely. The border makes it all click. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do love this one. Simplicity seems to be my favorite style. You have a beautiful quilt here. :)

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.