Friday, September 05, 2008

Fusible Thread

OK, AFTER using fusible thread, (see previous post) I Googled the matter and duhhh, it says "fusible thread should not be used in place of regular thread" ... And if one wants to use it on binding to fuse the binding down, use a wide zig-zag stitch around the quilt edge to give the fusible more stick power" (... sounds like a lot of extra work to me). Can you imagine dragging the entire large quilt on the ironing board, and taking the time to press, and hold it each time, to see if the fusible fused, and then waited until it cooled to see if it is still 'stuck'? I'm NOT a fusser, being relatively practical. THAT experiment will NOT be repeated. My bindings are fine my way, thank you very much! And I DO press them over, to get a neat edge on the top, and handstitch them on the back. People say they can always recognize my quilts by my neat bindings. Better not change methods.

Just thought I'd clarify that situation.

4 comments:

  1. I'd always wonder if the fusible-ness (if one can use that as a word!) would give out after a few washings! I don't think I'd want to risk it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that you press your bindings over, to give them a creased edge. I like rounded puffiness in a binding and never press them. To each her own!

    As for fusible anything - hate them. I used fusible on a blanket stitched applique and could barely get a needle through the stuff.

    I'm remembering your water soluble thread basting tip. I have thought about taking a quilt to the longarmer and having them sew parallel basting lines through the whole thing with very large stitches. I've seen them do it and it looks like the perfect (if expensive) way to baste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never even heard of fusible thread. Next time I'm in the local quilt shop I'm going to see if they have some just so I can see what it looks like. You always learn something new!
    :) dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to a quilt show recently where a demonstration of using fusible thread for bindings was given. The finished product looked very nice, and the demonstrator said she used her technique on competition quilts all the time without ever being dinged for her binding technique. I agree that using fusible thread (dense, wide zigzagging) looks like more work and cost than necessary. My motto is, if it can't be done by machine, it can't be done - so I've figured out how to do nice bindings without any handwork, and without fu$ible thread.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.