Monday, September 08, 2008

Playing, and Use Caution

I've had several requests, "What kind of machine do you have?", "Do you have a stitch regulator?" This is my machine, a Janome MC 6500. It's about 3 years old . (Of course there is a new and improved version with something called Accu Feed, that I know nothing about.) I like what I have. And, NO I don't have a stitch regulator. I do it myself. Some machine quilting areas are better than others.

Today, while DH was watching the DANGED political news on TV, and commenting in his usual "blankety blank" manner back to the TV commentators, I decided to excuse myself and"go play" for a bit and this is what I made, done in about 20 minutes.

I used 3 different threads. One 40 wt. for the first leaves, a 12 wt. limey green for the hyper-quilting, and a 40 wt. cotton variegated thread (not shown) to highlight around the motif. This was all learned from my PatsyThompsonDesigns.com DVD.

While I was admiring my practice project, DH walked in and also commented positively. We both have been reminded all too frequently the part about "pride goeth before the fall" and as he started the sentence to remind me to be cautious about feeling too cocky, my elbow hit my sewing box - the box with 100 needles, all my feet, tools, bobbins, and they flew EVERYWHERE!

OK Elaine Adair, you've practiced this fancy machine quilting enough. Go and quilt a quilt!

17 comments:

  1. Do you have a good strong magnet for picking up all those pins? The quilting looks very good. I wish you were here to quilt dragons on my kaliedoscope quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed (I'm not worried about you getting too cocky really!) with your machine quilting. There is a lady in our group who does the same thing - really detailed quilting with her regular machine. Unbelievable. But I will tell you a secret, if you won't tell. She IS cocky. Its hard to separate her good work from her personna. I know you'd never be like that Elaine. This is a funny story about you hitting your sewing box and flipping things all over though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great practice work. You done good girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you need a bad word to utter lol. Marvellous work as usual

    ReplyDelete
  5. what do you do with your quilting practice sandwiches?
    I began using mine as the inside of bags. Some of yours are nice enough to be very nice insides or
    if interspersed with patches or rows of fabric and maybe lace, I could imagine some very swish bags indeed.
    She who currently has 3 or 4 half finished and dragged out some older practice machine embroidery pieces to use in other bags...find I can use it where others use stitcheries.
    Just a thought...it looks too good to waste.
    You will have me buying the DVD yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - that is terrific! I love that CD, and that machine, LOL! I have the 6500 and the 6600 and wouldn't give them up. They make quilting a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilting is beautiful! I guess I should practice with different threads as well, but I am still figuring out how to use one!
    My box of pins flew last week too, but I didn't have any positive work to offset the extra 100-pin-pickup work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful, and was still beautiful after you finished picking up the pins. It's not pride so much as satisfaction for a job well done. (Maybe pride too, but the good kind.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see the quilt...the practice piece is great. I am NOT Worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful work! Can I hire you?? *giggle* Really, this is great and you should be proud of yourself! You gotta watch those elbows though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilting is really wonderful, Elaine. I have a 6500 too, and I love, love, love that machine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great practice piece, Elaine. I have that DVD and not opened the case yet. Now I must...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just need to get into the sewing room and quilt! But first I need to finish Auntie's blouses. The practice piece looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just awesome machine quilting. Not sure if my machine would do as well..but might with pratice..I just have an old slant needle singer to use. Such a DVD should be in our guild Library.
    take care sew peacefully DEB};o

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a 6500 and you inspire me ...you do a great job...Maine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, it looks so wonderful! Your practicing has paid off beautifully! Your quilts are going to love you for it!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.