Monday, September 29, 2008

Shirt Quilt DONE and a smelly box of scraps

Not bad for a bunch of old shirts! This one was FUN - just plain FUN! Let's see, 15 shirts at the Mission store for $7.50, and we kept four of them ... the top probably cost about $4.00? The backing is an on-sale white with small black 'doo-dads' shirting. I have a LOT of shirtings left over. All the scraps went back into the 'Shirt Fabric' box, and what do I find in that box ??? 25 Jacob Ladder 9 inch blocks, all DONE, of shirt fabrics. Apparently, my NEXT project is waiting for me. This possible addition is not my fault! - It's Bonnie Hunter's fault at Quiltville.com! ("lol, lol" said with great happiness). Above is a close up of quilting. I wish I had quilted the flying geese in 2 colors, but when I started, I didn't know how to do that. By the time I was finished, let me tell you, I KNOW now. 8-) OK, it's a utility-type quilt, but my DH sure LOVES it!

What I learned? A lot of the fabric was thready and ravely. I should have been more generous with starch. Some is also loose in weave resulting in stretching. The seam allowance on the side of the geese border got a little teensy in places, so the binding was not as neat as usual.

So, it's done -- I was thinking about revisiting the Mission store after work today, to fill in some blanks in my fabric stash? Luckily, that answer was provided today at my office -- what timing! Someone had cleaned out his Mother's home and found 2 boxes of scraps - he brought them to ME! What a great gift!!! I knew they would not be fresh, and would have some throwaways, but, here are a lot of keepers - especialy shirtings of all things - freshening up on my badly-needing-painting deck railing.

OK, group, how do I freshing them up better than this method???

They are cotton bits and pieces - if I washed them, they would definitely get very ravely.

19 comments:

  1. That's probably the best way. If you really have to wash some of them you could serge the sides (if you have a serger). I have done that with some ravelly fabrics that had to be washed.
    The quilt turned out really great. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Elaine, that turned out great. Makes me want to go visit Goodwill. As for the smelly scraps...if you have to take them inside and they still have some odor, try putting them into a closed container with some charcoal (also in some sort of bucket so it doesn't get onto the fabric)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could wash them in one of those mesh bags meant for your delicate fiber items. That way they couldn't move around much so the ravelling would be a minimum amount. You can also hand wash in a basin and hang over the railing to dry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh bliss how divine is that quilt. Put some lavender or some herbs into the bag and tightly seal for a week or so then air gain. I do know vanilla is good for odours in the fridge wonder if it would work with fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could wash them by hand too -- I do that a lot with small pieces. They don't take the same amount of beating that they would in a washing machine and it's quite easy to turn the shower on them to give them a really good rinse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt is wonderful. I think I would air the fabric the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patience. Your way is good. That is a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so fussy. I would have to wash them, & I would do it by hand. They were free- you can afford a little unravel or two!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For SMALLER scraps I hand wash them and spin them out in my salad spinner. Works like a charm, much to DH's dismay when he is looking for the spinner, LOL!!! Those looks like some nice, big pieces airing there though.
    Cheers!
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely wash! Here's a tip that almost guarantees no raveling (scroll down to paragraph on clipping corners):

    http://jettstream.wordpress.com/2007/10/11/did-you-know/

    Love that shirting quilt. I've been saving shirting pieces for a long time for a someday quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic quilt! Recycling at its best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful quilt - I LOVE IT :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The quilt is pretty. If you hadn't pointed out the flaws, I wouldn't have seen them. Actually I still can't see them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a lovely quilt, I may have to go thrifting. :o)

    I think you're on the right track with the scraps, it just isn't as fast a method.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilt is so beautiful! I'm going to have to order that book as my Christmas present to myself! Your colors are just stunning and it really looks like you spent a lot of money to find muted matching fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have you or any of your readers used a pinking or wave blade for your rotary cutter in an attempt to avoid the fraying. I tossed up between the two on Tues and bought the wave when I probably should have got the pinking one........have shears in these.

    I have heard or seem to remember I have hear that this helps with the fraying.

    I would be tempted to leave the fabric to soak with the soap and some Napisan or equivilant.
    I have needed to get wound marks out of clothing while this infection has been healing and this was by far the easiest way.
    I use a biodegradeable washing powder which really is good enough on its own but because I am not able to hang clothes on the line and once a stain goes in the dryer it tends to remain so have done the long soaks.
    I had to find some quilts the other day and found a crate that was just begging to be pruned so my friend whose stash is only in the early stages walked away happily with a bag of goodies.
    I am afraid if I pull it out now and think, why did I buy that....and can come up with no good reason, then I indulge in the joy of giving.
    Have decided this is why I do not have such a pile of finished quilts ...there seem to be more given away in the photo section than there are that have been kept.
    And I bet they were not all labelled!
    Alas poor Yorik!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic! A girl after my own heart! Love all the shirtings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Elaine,
    I've enjoyed catching up with your blog. I love love LOVE this quilt!
    I'm tempted to stop by my local thrift store one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow! I found it!! and it is so much prettier than I imagined. I love how the light dark placement in the blocks make a such a great impact on how the blocks look - some like Double T :)

    Great job and I love your scrappy geese! :) ooough... I gotta an itch to host a shirt block swap for 2009... :)

    Love from Texas! ~bonnie

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.