Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Another Linus Quilt, and Fixing a Mistake

A quick Linus Quilt - these are such fun to make and the idea is from Quiltville.com

Did you ever find this problem (below Linus Quilt, but not the same as above), too late to repair it correctly? That seam (fuzzy photo) was too narrow, and came unstitched, showing the batting. I slid a little screwdriver in the seam to show. There is no room to take seams in, and I've already quilted half the quilt!
First, make a patch along seam lines. At the left is where I did some reinforcing zig-zag lines. That non-pointed corner was the big clue that a problem existed - glad I saw it - Waaaaay too 'wrong' for me!
Press under the seam allowances of the patch, and pin in place.

Voila! I did a blanket stitch with invisible thread and except for the center being slightly misaligned, you would never notice it. I put the pins in the border to show where the patch is - you'd never find it otherwise.

I didn't know how 'the right way' to solve the problem, but this worked well. (You may see basting stitches wandering through the quilt photos.)

16 comments:

  1. Now that is clever. What I have done in the past is put some sort of applique over the error and just made people think I had planned it that way all along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very clever way to do it, something I wouldn't have thought of. Instead I might have ripped out a little bit of the pink seam and appliqued just the one triangle in place over top of the original(tucking the seam allowance under the pink), then blindstitched the pink seam again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it works it's the right way. Good for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever patchwork. I always wonder how people fix their mistakes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a quilt with the same problem but I have already quilted it. I discovered it while quilting over it. I'm looking for the right applique to cover this mistake. Your repair is pretty well invisible. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to solve the problem and practically invisable. I've sewn a patch over damaged spots but never had to patch at a seam like that. I'll file that idea away for future reference. Thanks, Elaine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful fix!! I've had problems like this but my fix wasn't as good! Cute Linus quilts! I have several ready to donate this year too. Happy Holidays!
    Julia, NE

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a great idea!! I am soooooooooooooo gonna try this.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family. :)
    dawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. very clever idea, though I have yet to start my first quilt, my aunt a 1000 miles away is teaching me via email how to do it.
    Merry christmas to you and yours. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, a belated Merry Christmas, second, great idea on the seam.
    My seam fixing technique when it is "too late" is an appliqued star, and I usually do a few other randomly placed ones so it aint just too obvious, quite often adds zip you didn't know you needed! Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the repair tutorial. That would have sent me into despair! I wouldn't even have had a thought that it could be repaired!! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. An excellent repair!
    Happy 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How do I mend a teeny tiny hole in a long armed quilted quilt....Probably it was made while ripping and ripping out the same spot, and then I missed it...

    sew@mymts.ner

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is Jackie again...
    email addy is sew@mymts.net

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.