Friday, January 02, 2009

On the other side of the studio ...

From time to time, I post a photo of "The other side of the studio" ... our "studio" is a small room that my DH and I share. I sew and he works on his boats. He has threads in his boats, and I have wood dust in my quilts -- we got over it. The room is approximately 10' x 12' - even small for a bedroom. If we both roll our chairs out at the same time, they will bump. There is my sewing machine desk (large) and two small rolling cabinets (mine). He has a desk made of a door sitting on file cabinets, and a big cabinet for storage and the radio/CD player. Miraculously, we manage. The wood boats he builds are excellent in detail due to his power boating knowledge. The whole time he is working, he is THERE, IN that boat!!! He once owned a good-sized power boat, and this current project is a replica of that boat. He puts more time in a boat than most of us do on a quilt - maybe 200-300 hours. Some of them have over 100 tubes of Super Glue!

The boats are built just like real boats, only smaller in scale. He planks it, one plank at a time. One time he actually purchased real plans ($$$!) and had to sign a document promising he was not building a full sized, 56 foot boat! He then reduces everything to scale.

Once a man asked DH to build him a model of the guy's boat, and the guy suggested he'd pay $100.00 for it. huh? the man had absolutely NO IDEA of what was involved! Kinda like our quilts.

This is not the best photo of him, but he's happy, playing with his wood toys, and I'm happy playing with my colors and cutting. We're not far from being kids, are we?

The second photo show the deck removed, so one can see the galley, berths, etc. Almost all of his boats have removable decks so one can see down below, engines, bilge pumps, berths, galley, head, etc. Other boats have storage for cargo, fish, nets, or coal and crates.



23 comments:

  1. Awesome..I love to see the handmade wooden boats..I always thought I wanted a tall ship to grace the house. Nice work..DEB};o

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful -- wonderful that he makes the models and wonderful that you share a creative space like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everybody needs a creative outlet, your sweetie has found his niche! Nice. Very nice that he is good company, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that has got to be the nicest thing.
    to share time doing stuff you both love... My husbands office and my studio are back to back does that count? ;-(
    yeah, not quite as sweet as you two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, he really does put detail in his boats. Interesting that some people just have no idea as to how much work goes into a hand-crafted piece. Similar to your story about the $100, I took a finished quilt to work a year ago, and two people were talking with each other about what it would cost. One said, "It would be at least $100!". I tried not to be offended. Anyway, John and I also bump into each other in our office, so I know where you're coming from! Thanks for sharing his world with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My DH & I share space also, because the computer is in my sewing room (or is it the other way around?). It's great that your DH has a hobby. Lots of men don't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those boats are amazing! It is so nice to have an artistic partner. I'm just glad my husband and I have a bit more space than that, especially when he's doing pottery! We'd come to blows for sure. You both must be very patient people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He does such wonderful detailed work. CarGuy and I have discussed sharing a creative space, but I just can't see moving my sewing stuff into the garage. Now if we added on to the garage with room for a long arm, well then maybe. Conversely, I don't think his car stuff would fit into the basement where my sewing room is located. Happy new year, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it is wonderful that you and your hubby share a room with your different hobbies! He's very talented, also. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd quit sewing if I had to share a room with my hubby. I need my space! Your husband's work is extraordinary. I suppose it's the same as folks who build dollhouses--painstaking, detail oriented, time consuming, labors of love. How beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The boat is amazing. How anyone can do that with wood astounds me. Fabric is more forgiving!

    I once tried to move some sewing into the third bedroom, "the computer room", to spend more time with my husband, but quickly found out that the electric circuit for the room was already loaded to capacity with his stuff and I couldn't plug in the iron. Not to mention that the racket of the sewing machine and the sound from the computer (he talks to people online) would be unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE it! We just sold our 28' Pearson Sailboat about 18 months ago :(
    When we build our new house we're planning "our" studio together ~ on purpose!! DH will have his desk where he ties flies and works on other fishing stuff and I'll have my design wall, cutting table, etc....we're looking forward to having a creative space we can share.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for showing these photos. My DH is making a boat too, his first, but he works in the walkout and I'm on the second floor. We should have an intercom. I wanted a fireman's pole installed when we built the house, but everyone thought I was nuts. My knees likely would suffer, but it would be a quick trip to see my boat builder! Enjoy every time that those chairs bump!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You should have a sign made for your shared space: "Bolts & Boats".

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is wonderful that you can be separately creating, but together. I love his work, as well as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The boats are wondeful--what a creative space!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wowser, wowser! Excellent work. Be sure and tell your DH that he does excellent work. Truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cutie! I'll bet you are a cute couple together. DH does wonderful work. To be so accurate takes patience and talent. Tell him, "Thumbs Up" from me. Your work is wonderful as well. Does he appreciate how talented you are?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Patience! Pure patience! And a bit of talent throw in!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cool! Isn't it amazing. I could never, ever work with those teeny tiny pieces. It would make me bonkers. And yet we manipulate and fool around with teeny tiny piece of fabric and call it fun! The part of the boats that I find most amazing is that they are to scale. Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a neat hobby your husband has. It must be very nice to share your love of creativity! Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So fabulous you share a space and share hobbies with each other that way. Being creative is something essential to man and woman. Without hobbies that fulfill us life would be dim.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.