Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bamboo Batting

The "Light" project of several posts ago (May 7), was machine quilted on my DSM, using Bamboo Batting. I had not tried it before and was pleased with the results. First, the size listed is 60 x 60, but it was slightly larger, this one was 62 x 66 inches, a nice surprise. It was crinkled when it came out of the package and even with a few minutes in the dryer with a wet towel, it was still slightly crinkled, but not noticeable when quilted. The batting is very soft and feels lovely.

As far as biodegradable, 'green', etc., I don't remember any reason why bamboo would be better than cotton but I'm not an expert, but bamboon grows fast.

Oops, forgot to mention (thanks Paula), I have not washed this. Yes, I was careless in my own rule of "always prewash color saturated fabrics." If anyone has washed their quilt made of bamboo, please let me know how it turned out. 8-)

It was an experiment, just to satisfy my curiosity. I would use it again, but I always look at comparing costs and don't remember where this expense stacks up in all the other batting options.

Just thought you'd like to know.

6 comments:

  1. I have yet to try a bamboo batt. I have knitted with bamboo yarn which I find a bit more 'stiff' than the very pliable cotton yarns. How did it wash up? Flat or a nice crinkly antique look?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tried the bamboo batting yet. I have been watching a lady hand quilt with it at guild meetings for the last few months. It seems to be fraying for her. But it feels soft.
    I did buy a piece of the new Silk batting from Quilters' Dream. I will save it for something special just for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't tried it myself either - let us know how it washes up.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bamboo batting I had quilted nice, it was just a big "sticky" to work with was I was positioning the batting. And, it was a bit wrinkly and I hadn't thrown mine in the dryer, I just leave it hang on the long arm overnight and that usually relaxes all the wrinkles, but it didn't on this one. But it did wash up nicely, I just haven't used it enough to tell how it will hold up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have bamboo socks, which is no help at all, but they are wonderful, wash well, stay new looking, and are totally comfortable. A friend loves the bamboo for hand quilting, but agrees that it is a bit 'sticky' which isn't necessarily bad... less basting required for the sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm almost finished quilting a bamboo batted quilt. I love it, it's so soft. Just squeeze the bag and then squeeze a cotton bag, it's a difference. I guess it could be how tightly it's woven for packaging, but it really feels different and soft.

    As soon as it's bound, I'm washing it, because I'm too curious. I need to know what the effect of washing and drying will be. I'll report later. Probably much later, as I'm in the process of moving daughters after they graduate.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.