Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Border quilting solution


This is my solution to the border. One quilting line was not enough - this is a wide space - 3 inches - so I went over it a second time, deliberately NOT on top of the previous line, as the thread was variegated. I kinda like it. The outside will most likely be the same, and I'm not sure if anything needs to be quilted on the ribbon itself. This goes FAST! (The seam ripper is there for scale.)

One of the disadvantages of machine quilting on a DSM is that there is more 'poofiness' for lack of a better word, while the work is in process. But when completed, and blocked, it will be fine.

We have another week ahead of absolutely gorgeous days of 78 degrees - I'm planning another basting project this weekend, since this particular quilt should be done. Oh yeah, Saturday, there is that sale at one of my LQSs. 8-)

I pieced the back - wish I had NOT. Somehow I don't have the artistic flair for piecing backs - it always looks like patchwork! LOL

BTW, my SIL LOVED her small "Mother Earth" quilt - it arrived safely in Wisconsin.

18 comments:

  1. What a pretty treatment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great design and executed well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do a wonderful job machine quilting. It looks like a longarmer did it. Great quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you do a bit of ditch quilting on each side of the ribbon? love the way the leaf pokes into that area close to the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilting is unique and perfect for the space. Your work is always great.

    ~Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. O like that you added the second line of stitching on the border. Especially since it is variegated thread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are a true artist with the quilting! I really like how it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you hadn't said you added the second line I would have thought that was the way it was meant to be the first time. it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am amazed that you can do such wonderful quilting on your DSM. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilting is wonderful!! I love the border treatment, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I Love your quilting. It is beautiful. I need way more practice ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very clever to add the second line around the border quilting. It looks great! I love the way the leaf falls into the gap in the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your border quilting is beautiful, and so imaginative - love the leaf that settles down between the ribbon twists. The quilting in the center is also wonderful. So talented!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a very creative quilting design - I love it!!! The inside quilting is great too. I need to review my Patsy Thompson DVD some more. Maybe someday I can "get it" too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the ribbon border and the quilting Elaine. Somehow I've got to make myself spend more time on borders. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are getting so good at the FMQing that I think you should change your blog title to Elaine Adair Quilts. Great looking pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that border quilting! The second line gives such a neat effect!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh your quilting is FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.