Sunday, December 06, 2009

Days of our Lives ...

This is just ONE of my favorite books, by Evelyn Sloppy - pages are falling out of the binding. I went to Staples, figuring a new Spiral Binding would help, figuring cost might be $3-4.00. My word! I had to wait for/or return in 4 hours, to the tune of $6.57! I LOVE the spiral binding but the cost is prohibitive.

I needed a new cartridge for my very old, but trustworthy HP 4L printer. This printer is well over 15 years old - this would only be my 4th or 5th cartridge - it goes forever! Staples price = $137.00 - FOR THE INK CARTRIDGE. Huh???? I expected an increased price from the $29.99 I paid 5 years ago, but this was ridiculous! On-line I went, for a remanufactured one = $29.99, plus $5.00 for S & H, and it arrived in 3 days. So far, it works great.

My current Kaleidoscope quilt, "Fairy Rings" is coming along, but this strip set is really crooked! I'm ashamed to show my not-straight seams. And some of my 'rings' are too light, so I'm making more. This week I had a Dr. visit for a sore shoulder. x-rays showed nothing wrong with my shoulder, so he took an x-ray of my neck -- I need to get to the bottom of this issue. Obviously, Doc put the wrong x-ray on the viewing screen -- that poor decrepit person had a bizarre crook in her neck - OK, Doc, please show me mine! -- uhhh that IS mine??? - yeah, it's ME! No, I have no idea when this happened, but I've had a sore shoulder and aching neck for several years. No wonder! I thought it was from too much sewing or too much computer! So yesterday I had to face THIS procedure (below)! Yes, an MRI! Facing this piece of machinery is NOT for sissies. No, it doesn't hurt, but all one can think about is, "What if I Panic?" while I am in that tiny tube, held down, ??? what would I do if I DID panic? Yes, they gave me a Panic Button but only a wimpy woman would use it ... But one must lie perfectly still, and already my shoulder started aching. No fiddling, no moving or one must start over. By the time it was over (45 minutes, then 30 minutes), I was a shakey, quivering mass of jello. I slept 13 hours last night! Wonder what my blood pressure was during that procedure? Wonder what the next step will be?

BTW, thank you to my friend, Nancy, who offered to drive/hold my hand/give me emotional support while I faced this frightening procedure - You are MY hero. 8-) DH was a great comfort.

.. and a quiet prayer, "Stay safe, Carl, in Baghram."

18 comments:

  1. I hope the MRI results are positive. My husband had one a couple of weeks ago for a mysterious pain in his side that seems to have pretty well disappeared in the meantime.
    Your seams are straighter than mine. Maybe that's why I am so fond of wonky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too hope the MRI results are positive. I've never had one but my friends have let me know it's no picnic. I love the Evelyn Sloppy book too. I made the cover quilt, Blueberries (I think), in pinks and chocolate browns and names it Chocolateberries. I have at least 10 more I'd like to make. I may have to get mine bound so it will lay flat when I use it as this will be in my library forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness Elaine, you have had a stress filled week! Hope everything turns out all right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing all well at yours! God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how awful. What happened to the shape of your shoulder?? Blessings to Carl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had some shoulder problems about 10 years ago. Even after the MRI he couldn't be 100% positive about the source of my problem but he recommended surgery. I demanded physical therapy first. The physical therapist is the person that found the root cause and I never had to have surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your results say you just need a massage or two. Will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sent you an e-mail about my shoulder pain and the exercise I found which helped.
    It is probably best to check with your doctor before doing this exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish I could give you a big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope the MRI..helps find a solution to the problem. I got bucked off a horse years ago..I probably have a crooked kneck too, my cousin did some deep therapy message made a huge different. Today I am suffering from cold bottom, much to cold to be running around on a 4wheelr. I pray all goes well hugs. sew peacefully

    ReplyDelete
  11. thinking of you.
    I panic - wimpy woman or not ( I am claustrophobic)
    Cant wait to see Fairy Rings.
    Thinking of Carl and all his mates.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried to teach my 14 year old the other day that just because something says it "costs" a certain amount doesn't mean we have to pay that. We can look around for a better bargain. I hope he got it. But this is something I guess that comes with experience. I'm with you. Things are ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you need to stay away from Staples. Last time I had a spiral binding done I went to Office Depot and it was done in five minutes and cost under $3. I know printer ink is pricey, but $128!!!
    Sorry about your neck. I hope they can help you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hard to believe a new cartridge would cost that much! It better last forever if someone pays that much. You can buy a new printer for a lot less than the cost of the cartridge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never knew I was claustrophobic until I tried to have an MRI. I got hot, then cold, then started shaking all over! They had to reschedule me in an 'open' one. The mirror that showed me the operator, and the timer got me thru. Not planning on doing THAT for a long time. Hope it found what is wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear, do I dare say I sleep thru MRI's? they put on soothing music or you bring your own CD, and I've been know to snore (uh-yeah!) during the procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank goodness you didn't have the MRI machine problem of a male friend of mine - a rather rotund male friend. He has had several MRIs because of back problems and he says they had to practically butter him to squeeze him into the thing. It's terrible to laugh, but I can just picture it, him fitting into the tiny tube like a cork in a bottle. Now the hospital has the open MRI machines and he's very relieved.

    My husband had a scan of his head and more than the closeness of the machine I would have panicked over having my head trapped in that cage they strap you into to keep you from moving.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope you are Ok and get some answers from the MRI. Wow, that is a lot for an ink cartridge...I think you can buy a new printer for that much!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.