Saturday, December 26, 2009

Fairy Quilt, WIP -



What's not to love about that texture? It looks like snails trails, doesn't it? Totally in keeping with the "Fairy Ring" theme of this kaleidoscope.

This is for a great niece, Meggie. We just received their Annual Christmas Letter, along with photos, and by gosh, that little girl is growing too fast -- I had better get this project done and in the mail! Quilt dimensions are about 70 x 70 inches, and little Meggie WAS 3 1/2 when she asked for it last July!

Halleluja - don't have to cook tonight (leftovers, yum!) and I can work on this project several times today. I'm being careful to do exercises between short machine quilting periods.

(If you are wanting to learn to do MQ on your DSM, please give it a good try, and practice. Yes, it's a bit of a nuisance to layer and baste it, but that doesn't cost anything, and there is real pleasure in sitting down and turning a 'plain' quilt top into a lovely thing with your own machine.)

11 comments:

  1. I really admire your quilting skills.
    I wish I was closer to you so I could watch!
    Could you do your "fan base" a video???????
    Subee in snowy Indiana who has not been able to sew for 3 days and is going into deep depression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just rewatched the 'Pajama Quilter Reloaded' since I am going to be doing a bit of FM myself. This fairy quilt is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the quilting! I am a huge fan of free motion swirls myself, yours are amazing and really do complete the quilt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quilting! I am always glad to see your posts because you do your own quilting. It's such an inspiration to continue to try to do it myself. I look forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear hubby got me four free motion quilting instruction videos for Christmas so I will be knuckling down and learning how to do these beautiful things. Of course, it will be quite a while before I can approach your work! But as soon as I get a foundation pieced picture completed for a gift, I'll be off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilting is a nice addition to the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your fairy quilt is darling. The quilting is great. I am sure Meggie will be quite pleased with it.

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, soft and swirly. I loved it the moment your blog opened.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the encouragement to do quilting on my DSM. Now that I am retired, I plan to spend some time watching Patsy's video some more and practice. I do love your swirls! Your example is a good one to follow and has encouraged me before & I'm sure will in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilting! My favorite kind of design!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely quilting Elaine. This year I intend to learn to do interesting quilting on the DSM

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.