Wednesday, May 26, 2010

How they fit together


Murky photo dang it .. anyway, putting these blocks/now rows together looks harder than they are. See the red unit on the left, with the muslin triangular border? It's first to be sewn on, in this row. I.e., start from the left and work to the right.

Then the green plaid is sewn along that solid line.

Then the muslin square (above, partial seamed) where you just joined to the green plaid, etc., etc. It truly is not difficult, just cumbersome. The squares on the lower edge of the blocks are not completely sewn yet - that will be done for the NEXT row. Amazingly, most of my corners match pretty well -- these new angles present wierd and unexpected joints.

Don't be afraid of this pattern. It would be stunning in batiks, or without the square inset, or mirror imaged, or two colors or ...

On another subject - WOW - we had a doozy of a storm Monday! It's hard to tell if there was a tornado, when the wind is blowing sideways at 70 MPH, full of leaves and branches and hail, obliterating the sky - the noise was awful! Most of us hang around to 'see' what's happening! Dh was standing in front of the glass door, facing west, watching the hail and debris hit the window, that was coming FROM THE WEST. DUhhhhh - shut the big door, dufus!!! About the time we decided it was time to head for the basement, it was over. We had no damage, not even my poppies or hostas as they were protected. The town lost some very big trees.

12 comments:

  1. It's really pretty in plaid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a pattern that looks more complex than it is. This one is a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see the completed top.
    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you have a minute, just pop on over to show me how to connect those tricky corners will you? Then I can send you home with a few baggies, as I'm sure you'll be ready for the next project soon! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is looking terrific. And, isn't scrappy churn dash addicting? I have started a pile of them too. And, such a great way to use up scraps. Thanks for sharing all of this. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished Arabic Lattice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must have missed the beginning, what is this pattern? And then, will you come help me if I try it?

    Just as I started reading about your storm, we had big thunder. We need rain so we are not unhappy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking very good--taking it row by row makes it sensible. I have done partial seams on some twist blocks but nothing quite as complex looking as your lattice.

    Weird weather even for SoCalif. It has snowed again in the San Bernardino mountains (L.A.) and has been cool and windy at the beach--only a couple days of our usual fog and low clouds. Wonder what will happen in June?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Elaine...another one on the bucket list! This is so very pretty, I really love it. Be careful...spring storms are all around here too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Elaine. I'm going back through your posts seeing how you made those inserted triangles for your border on one of your quilts. Thanks for the inspiration. I'll let you know if I get brave enough to try your technique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm soooo liking this one ALOT Elaine...will love to se it when it is finished!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.