Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Batting, Hobbs Cotton Natural



Not too much new here - sometimes I am just posting for my own journaling.

Those diagonal lines are where I quilted the HStriangles.

Usually I use an 80/20 blend that comes off the roll at my LQS which I LOVE because it's firm, doesn't pull apart, and is of a consistent firm density. (Don't remember what the brand name is.) This Hobbs product was on sale so I tried it. It is lighter in density, a bit more fussy to baste/sandwich as the density is not as consistent. It also rippled a bit during the sandwiching, and I had to redo some areas.

However, now that I'm quilting it, it DOES have a soft, lighter feel. It's easier to smoosh through the machine bed, being not so dense. And it has a different "look" about it - I think I like it.

Very Important Lesson #1 -- Quilting guide lines drawn with a disappearing pen disappear much too quickly in a 90 degree house!

Very Important Lesson #2 -- When your backing fabric is 2 inches too short on the end of your quilt, you should not forget and quilt the whole end from the top, without turning it over and checking the back.

Just thought you'd like to know.

4 comments:

  1. Uh-oh. That short backing thing doesn't sound like much fun. Your comments re: Hobbs are interesting. I guess people either really like Hobbs or really don't. I usually buy the cheapest of a decent quality which around here would be Warm & Natural, but one time I wanted to try something new, so I opted for Hobbs. Did not like it at all. Oh well. But now I know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Hobbs too, even tried the fusible in a 50 x 60 quilt and it worked very well. I also like Quilters Dream.

    Elaine, I love your posts. You almost always make me chuckle... and want to get going on my current procrastination! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me chuckle about the back...Hope you fixed it without too much trouble.

    BTW I too mostly blog for my own journaling.....and to leave it behind someday for my girls....

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.