Sunday, July 11, 2010

Quilting the Border

I keep copies of dozens of free samples from PatsyThompsonDesigns.com in a notebook. Most of them I've tried, and saved my samples in that notebook. It is amazing, how often I cannot think of a quilting pattern until I open my sample work. On the left of the notebook is the paper printout and on the right is my practice piece, in a plastic page protector. Geeky, yes, but it works for me! For this quilt (Bricks and Steppingstones, from Quiltville.com) I wanted something earthy, guy-type, NOT feathers, but also wanted something where I could start at one corner and quilt one entire side without stopping. This is my viney/weedy pattern. I LOVE thinking of those wild growing vines one sees in wild spaces.

I drew an implied guideline with chalk to keep me near target -- not worried that my 'spine' is not solid. My design has leaves, swirls, curlycues, narrow leaves and wide leaves - whatever filled the space. Additionally, every variety of leaf gives me more experience. I started at the bottom of the implied vine, and machine quilted to the top, finishing it off at the top with one large leaf. My fabric is almost black so I chose a grey thread, for some visibility.

YOU can do this!


11 comments:

  1. Another great idea to practice! Taking a step at a time sure makes it seem doable. I am determined to get there! Right now I don't have anything sandwiched to work on, but hopefully soon. Thanks for all your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can ony say WOW! Lady you are so very talented. I need to get the courage up and try this!
    Thanks for the great pictures.
    Subee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I need to start doing that because I always end up doing a meander because I can't think what else to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your book idea. I do something similar. I draw on a white board and take a picture of it. Then I print out the picture and keep it close to the HQ while I am quilting. When the quilting is done I take a picture of it and keep the two pictures together. This is always a good place for inspiration. Two great minds?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really nice - I like to just mark a center mark and go from there too. Gives you more freedom but you don't get lost when you know where to start and end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elaine am I understanding this right...you sewed the center "vine" and then went back down it making the leaves? I love the look and really, really appreciate the lesson. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are going to make a believer of me yet! Great idea to keep a notebook. I'm really impressed with your skills.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elaine,
    I will make a quilting notebook for me. It will be a good reference. Love your idea. When I am quilting I drew a guideline with chall, it really helps. And the design you chose is just perfect. Wonderful job. Hugs - Ivani

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great idea book....quilting tips are wonderful.....LOL...if I don't stop just doing quilt tops I'm about to have 20 to quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the quilting! Also love your idea to keep samples with the downloaded sheets from Patsy's site. Might have to give this a go ... I tend to 'practice' on donation quilts and then they get given away, so I have no visual reference :)

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.