Sunday, September 12, 2010
Maverick Stars DONE, and Batik Order Arrived
Whew - this Maverick Stars is done and I LIKE it! Cozy, huh? It's about 60' x 70' - a good nappy size. I changed from my original quilting pattern because 1) I needed more practice on the other plan, and 2) this swirly thing was more youthful and this quilt will probably be a Linus Quilt. It still needs blocking. Note that the BLOCK is made of ONE color, and the sashing stars are scrappy, so a person can tell one from the other - I became confused a time or two. The original idea is from Bonnie www.quiltville.com, and also but also one recently posted by Jo at http://www.joscountryjunction.com. Thanks gals!
A few weeks ago I jumped in and ordered 1/4 linear yard of the entire line of Batiks shown in the last catalog of Connecting Threads - all 29 of them, and they arrived Friday! They are beautiful! Brighter than my photo, and the patterns are 'watery' meaning the colors in each look like paints in water - I suppose there is a name. But they don't look 'printed' like we normally expect from batiks. They came with a little stick-on tag showing the name of that fabric, bar code, etc. In preparation for rinsing them for colorfastness, I pulled the tag off that included the fabric name. So, if I reorder, I won't really know what to reorder -- many of them look similar. So, keep that tag closely related to the fabric. Only one of the fabrics, a purpley red, left a slight pink in the water -- none of the others left any color. The fabric is thinner than $10.95/yd fabric - just fine for me. It sews lovely. Some of the pieces were not cut straight on one side and since I am cutting narrow logs, that might make a difference, but when measuring them, each is WIDER than the required 9 inches, so I'm actually getting MORE than a linear yard.
Look Mom, see what I made today!
Another version, just turning them. Only 105 more to make - I make 6 at a time to keep my sanity!