Saturday, March 12, 2011

Back in the Studio


Despite unsettling days, sadness, and looking forward (NOT!) to cataract surgery in the next month or so, I've managed to get this quilt top together. I can't say I'm too perky though.

On National Quilt Day, (March 19) I am teaching/leading a workshop on this quilt. It's a bit wild, but I am sure quilting helps to blend the values. The corners are mitered, and I used those strips in the border, thinking of "repitition", "rhythm", and "continuity." My thread is a soft smokey blue, not too dark, and I will quilt it a LOT. Most likely it will be a QOV, for a female soldier. You can see it's VERY scrappy. Nothing except batting was purchased for this project.

I am waiting for another Quilting DVD to arrive, this one from the Pajama Quilter. If a person just uses 1 or 2 ideas from these kinds of quilting DVDs, then it's worth it!

My friend Chell who always perks me up, joined me last week for a Sew Day. She's making delicious progress! Click on the link for the direction she's heading! Stunning!

15 comments:

  1. Hey Elaine!!! Missed you...and love your quilt so much!! Hope you are Ok...perky, even!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the lucky people who will be taking your class get to see this beauty in person. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the look of the log cabin. You probably know how much I like the Pajama Quilter DVD. Between the two DVD's I have, there are 6 designs I tend to quilt a fair amount.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great quilt. I have the Pajama Quilter videos too and love them. They are worth every cent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got the Pajama Quilter DVDs too and really like them. Don't sweat the surgery. Now days, it's easy peasy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for your sadness hope things will be better for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! Can i be your friend too and learn how to make this gorgeousness!!!?????

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you're still sewing, even if you aren't feeling the best. Sending lots of good wishes your way for the upcoming surgery.
    The quilt is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whowwww! What an amazing quilt. Another one! You just keep turning out the stunning stuff. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have missed you too. Prayers for things to improve. And your quilt is a knockout! Very nice choices. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting quilt. I don't think I've seen one like it before. What's the name of the pattern? Or, what book is it in? Good luck with your workshop, bet it will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never seen this pattern. It is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sad I cannot attend. Curse of the Global distance.
    Hugs, XXX

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both of my in-laws had the eye surgery. Wasn't a big deal and the healing time was fast and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Arlene Ferrigno3/31/11, 1:48 AM

    Elaine,
    Don't know if you've had your cataract surgery yet,
    but I have had both eyes done and it was really not bad at all. The surgery itself is a breeze. You are given drugs that relax you very much. You are awake, but
    not anxious or frightened at all. The surgery itself is very quick. I had special lenses put in that correct both near and distance vision, so I no longer need glasses at all. It was like being reborn. The most wonderful part was being able to see colors clearly again. Everything became so crisp and bright. Good luck with your surgery, and don't be anxious.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.