Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Crummy quilting, and Raw Edge Applique BOM


My first inclination to quilt the borders was to Keep It Simple Stupid, with straight in-the-ditch quilting between each of the 4 borders, which were designed to replicate the log cabin strips. I should have listened to myself. Even as I was machine quilting, I didn't really like it, but 'something' took over my common sense and made me keep going, until I was finished, only to discover it was NOT GOING TO 'do'! The quilting thread is too dark in the light and too light in the dark, and just too plain busy! I spent 3 long TV evenings, taking it all out, and you all know what a mess that was! (Note to self - "Listen to your own good advice.")

I'll let it sit for a few days, then mist it, to reduce all the danged needle holes. grrrrrr! and then will quilt in the ditch.

Below is our Guild BOM for April, a raw edge applique. I wasn't going to do them but a friend gave me some squares to start on, and what is a friend going to do in return? She'll be checking on me, most likely! So Anita, here are my 3 blocks! And as you said, they WERE great fun.

11 comments:

  1. It looks fine....we are always our own worse critic...you did good with the raw edge applique also... chin up... good job all around.. keep up the good work....have a great day..lol..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I hate to rip and avoid it at all cost!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no ... all that work and then to have to rip it all out!!!! As you said - lesson learned to listen to your inner voice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to rip out quilting as well but at least it keeps you from eating while you're watching TV!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quilters can always see the good side... never thot that unsewing would keep me from eating! Good one... and Elaine, I also have a few of those "notes to self" that are written after not listening...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine ripping out all that quilting. For one thing, I'm not much of a perfectionist. It would have to be much, much, much worse than yours looks for me to rip it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ....well...I had a moment of silence for your crummy quilting...LOL...oh yes, I have done MY share of crummy quilting too! But ya know....we just want it the way we want it...right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! If we would only listen to our intuitions at the outset, what a lot of work we'd save! I'm sure it will be fine once you get it where you want it.

    Really cute flower blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. its like a loosing battle isn't it.
    You know you don't like it, yet the little thing on the shoulder says ... finish finish finish.
    I too often wish I had stopped when I wasn't sure. Still makes the ripper out a good buy doesn't it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I WUV-LUV these big petal flowers!!
    Are they a pattern?

    hugZ,
    annie
    rubyslipperz106.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those big flower blocks are fun! Would make a great Spring table runner! Sorry you did not like your quilting - knowing you I would say it would have been almost just as fast to make another quilt top rather than rip out all that quilting! Cheers! Evelyn

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.