Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Salmon Trawler, Incognito?, and Rulers


I took my husband's boat down to dust the shelf and had no where to put it except on my basting table. Uhhh - hey, where did it go???

This is how he describes this boat.

34 ft, "Courageous" named for xxxxxx, with health struggles, patterned after the Bud Galli Book, The Little Boat that Could. Monterey type salmon trawler, San Francisco, Fisherman's Wharf. Circa 1908 to 1934. 30' x 9' x 3', 7 ton, 10 hp Hicks engine, scale 5/8" = 1'-0" Billings model, modified, 126 hours, 6 glues, 2010.

When planning my recent Log Cabin variation, I decided to give the June Tailor ruler, Shape Cut, a try. Holy Smoke - for Log Cabins, or any kind of strips, if you have a table large enough, this ruler is better than sliced bread! I've always had issues keeping my strips the right size. This eliminates THAT issue, because you are holding down the entire piece of fabric with the ruler and there is NO slippage. This tool totally eliminated my eye strain. Even if you have excellent vision, I DO recommend this tool if you cut all your fabric at one time. I DO think it's cumbersome for cutting bits and pieces at a time. The slots are for your rotary cutter. I am using Olfa rotary cutters - my Dritz does not work. I used a coupon and I think it was about $25.00. It's large enough so you can fold your fabric twice (4 layers). The slots are at the half inch. You can zip through cutting so quickly, it's easy to get carried away - be careful with your math. Again, check your rotary cutter to see if it fits.


The smaller ruler, "Quarter Cut" (below) remains unused -- perhaps someone can give me hints as to the best way to use it. It has quarter inch markings, which sounded like a good thing at the time, but it's not large enough to cut WOFabric. Maybe it would be more useful if you just cut SOME pieces at a time. ??

13 comments:

  1. The boat looks so good with your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently gotten cutter -- I guess it is the shape cutter and it does do a great job cutting strips and you can turn the fabs and cut squares or rectangles too. I'm hoping to get a whole quilt cut tomorrow. I love your quilt that you'll be teaching on Friday. And, had to go look at Chell's too. This is uber cool. I wish I could join you on Saturday but it's a bit far from Virginia. Hope you start perking up.... you sure bring great ideas and inspiration to me. B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. boy talk about not making much sense. I assume you are teaching on Sat.... for quilt day. and I still wish I could join you. B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use to have both of those June Tailor Rulers... a few years back when I hosted monthly noodle swaps there was NO better way than using mine! ...as for the small one - I loaned it to a friend who needed to use it for cutting fringe on the fleece throw blankets. I guess she loved it b/c I never got it back. lol

    ...as for my big one, I'm sure it will show up somewhere in the sewing room closet... I hope.

    Good luck teaching your log cabin Saturday :)

    Love from Texas! ~bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the disappearing boat trick. Now this is a clue how to display the both of them. They enhance each other...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The trawler looks beautiful on your quilt.
    I had a Shape Cut ruler I bought a LONG time ago. Someone in my guild wanted to borrow it. It still had the plastic on it. So I sold it to her for $5!
    I need to look up those instructions you sent me
    (I think??)
    on how to make those Log Cabin blocks you are showing. I searched my computer once already but will search again. I swear I remember you telling me about it!
    HA! My word verification is: GRANI!
    I am a Grannie!
    XXOOXXO Subee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the large one and love it! I did, however, find myself losing track of the next slot to cut into, so I used some of the quilter's neon 'tape' and put it over the slots I didn't want to cut into. Worked like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hubby's boat is very detailed! Love it! It reminds me of the boats my Grandpa used to make. He had been a sailor in the Norwegian merchant marines in the late 1800s, early 1900s. That's when he decided to emigrate to Chicago. My brother has one of Grandpa's boats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, love the big cutter and use mine all the time. I keep thinking I will wear it out but it has been in almost constant use for 3 years and still is going strong. I also bought the little one and only tried to use it once but went for the bigger one, even then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, wow... I'll have to get myself one of these rulers...wow..looks like a great too. and also you log cabin quilt WOW... love it love it.. what is the name of this particular block so amazin I would love to try this pattern... thanks for sharing your new ruler..wow..

    ReplyDelete
  11. it me from downunder... this is totally out of this world. This past week I have spent hours in my sewing romm (I am not as tidy and organised as You) trying to find the instructions I made for said quilt. Trawled my blog and the internet, but I called it wonky cabins. Nothing ...... low and behold here it is Oh I do wish I could have come to your workshop.
    Keep well. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Shape Cut is an awesome tool -- so much cheaper and actually easier than the Go! Cutter for cutting strips.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.