Sunday, May 15, 2011

Albino Robin? and Buckeye Beauty, Jewel Box


I saw this very light colored robin in our front yard and took the photos through the front door AND the storm door, so it's not clear. This guy was so pale, I do wonder if he/she was albino. It behaved like other robins.

Below is about 60 blocks of my Jewel Box pattern, 6 inch blocks, aiming for 8 x 10, or 80 blocks. I'm calling it Buckeye something or other, as it's so masculine. One of you bloggers gave me the inspiration with a small sample of Jewel Box plaids that were more bright and sunny. If it was you, feel free to let me know. Isn't it funny how the gentlest of inspirations can get us moving with enthusiasm and energy?

Many of these plaids are very thready. I'm going to starch the backs of them, hoping to glue the darker threads in place so they don't wander into the light areas. I used a consistant "light" and it's good quality, so maybe wandering dark threads won't show too much. So far, I've spent little time arranging them, other than with no same fabrics together. I've been saving shirts for too long - time to use them! Thanks to Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville.com for the brilliant idea of using shirts for fabric.

14 comments:

knitnoid said...

I love the plaids. Makes me want to dig through my shirts and start making blocks!

~Joan said...

Is your cream a muslin?? It looks fantastic...great men's quilt! I might make one, too. I have a lot of plaids, but like you said, they are thready. I guess I'll dive in and start. How bad could it be?

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

I love your Jewel Box quilt! I have that pattern, and one day I will get to it :-)

julieQ said...

I made a plaid Jewel Box quilt recently...I love it so much Elaine, and I love yours too! Enjoy...isn't it fun how fast it goes together??

Camilla said...

The robin is probably a leucistic specimen... the terms are described here:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/Albinism_Leucism.htm

I think it's more common among robins than other birds - I've seen one of the blotchy ones near me.

Angie said...

I'm so glad you caught a photo of the Robin and shared it with us. I haven't seen one before. I LOVE your plaid Buckeye quilt!!! One of these days I'm going to chop up all of these thrifted plaid shirts I have dry-rotting in here and make me one. :D So glad your surgery went well.

LC said...

Oh, Elaine, this is a stunning combo of colors and patterns. I'm also eying my DH's shirts, but sadly they are still hanging in the closet! (I've seen those Fons and Porter ads, though!!)

Lynn said...

Glad one surgery is over now and on to healing. I love your plaid quilt. Maybe that is what I need to just up a box of plaids I had to have a few years ago.

SubeeSews said...

I have a family group of House Sparrows that are here year round. Some of them have large white areas on their wings. At first I thought it was bird poop! HA! So I guess with my tailess squirrels and white splotchy sparrows, we are in a strange world.
Some of my Robins look "grayed" when tehy first come back. But I feed them well and they are now trained to come when the front door opens!

Morah said...

You amaze me with your 6" blocks! How many blocks were in your pineapple??

Janet O. said...

Thanks to Bonnie, I too have a pile of men's plaid shirts waiting to be used. It isn't currently anywhere near the top of my list, but I really like that pattern in plaids. I will pin a note to the pile to remind myself what pattern to use when I do get to them. Thanks for sharing--it is a great looking quilt!

Rose Marie said...

BH also got me collecting shirts and they are waiting for me to do something with them. Love what you have done with your jewel box blocks.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Gotta love those shirts, i still adore the look, this will be great, pleased the surgery went well, Tracey

Purple Pam said...

I am so glad you survived your eye surgery. I like your macho Buckeye quilt. What an appropriate quilt name to be working on, now.