Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Pinwheels and 4-Patches, DONE

This lovely Pinwheels & 4-Patches is completed.  I LOVE the "glow" that happened with the pale melon and blue.  It has a "foresty" kind of feeling -- my favorite -- doesn't it?  I once had a quilt-in-process that needed some "zip" and another blogger (thanks Marla) suggested adding a few pale pastels to the background - it worked -- great tip!

Two sides of the border were quilted with leafy viney motifs, and why I did that -- who knows?  Seemed like a good idea at the time, but immediately was not thrilled.  Why I continued to a second side was ludicrous!!! -- not good.  My quilting was OK, my thread was OK, but the overall design was NOT.  The curvy vine, pointy leafy structures did not "fit" with the stripey design, and I spent 2 long days taking it all out.  I replaced it with stitch in the ditch, invisible thread (clear, and then smoke) and I'm much more happy with it.  The little stitch holes are still visible and will disappear with steam or a gentle washing. 

Below is the quilting design, from http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/.  Her design and DVDs were my inspiration, I certainly have used her designs so many times that my version is now dissimilar to hers.  8-)))   If you are struggling with wanting to learn machine quilting DESIGNS on your domestic sewing machine (DSM) you might look into her excellent video demos on her site. 

16 comments:

  1. Lovely. I agree that leaves and vines are not as fitting as this design... but the best part is the colors you picked! Great finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your choice of colors makes this quilt beautiful. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done a beautiful job on this quilt, Elaine. I love this pattern but have only seen it done completely scrappy. I am so taken with the way it looks here--scrappy, but in a controlled color palette. Just gorgeous!
    You have quilted Patsy's design beautifully. I hope I can get as good at it as you have become. I just did a practice sandwich of this after you referred me to it recently. I still need lots of practice. Thanks for the close-up of the quilting! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt... just beautiful! It looks imminently snuggle-able!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt and I agree it does glow. You did a wonderful job on the quilting. It really adds to the entire package.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has such an inviting comfy look to it, you make me want to try this quilt. Great finish!
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful quilt and you are right it does glow - good hint about using the pastel colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on a super finish! It is beautiful. I do like how the pastels in the background behave. Great tip - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just want to let you know that I'm awarding you a very special Liebster Blog Award. Come check out my post today to see what it's about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice finish. But then, I think all your quilts are super. Too bad you spent two days unsewing. I am glad you are happier with your changes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. very beautiful. I love the glow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a very beautiful use of color in the design. Love the over all affect of color distribution. Yes, it glows. Very pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here I am catching up on some blog reading and I get to see this beauty---Great finish Elaine! And the piping looks great, glad it worked out in the end, it adds a real nice touch to it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your finish - gorgeous! Well worth your struggles to get to the final result :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Elaine, your quilt is just beautiful! The fabrics are lovely, and the quilting just perfect for that project.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.