Thursday, April 19, 2012

Waxwings and Practicing

When the Bohemian Waxwings swoop through I feel like it's soon spring.  They are here one day, and gone the next.  They come through in a bunch, flit about like crazy and always stop for water.   I took 7 photos - this was the only one where they stayed still long enough!  Have you ever wondered how they drink?  Do they suck it up like a straw or what???  One bird scooped it up, using it's beak like a ladle, tipped it's head back with it's beak open.  Glug, glug, glug. 

It may be spring, but our grass and iris bed is still yucky.


Today, I decided to practice quilting circles -- mmmm -- harder than I thought - I just couldn't stay on the lines, then I see I've changed my circles to squarish things and still not staying on the lines.   I think my circles will be easier with a thicker thread, and a thread that is a similar color to the background of blue strings.  We'll see.

Also, I tried practicing one version of Baptist Fans.  I need to keep them small for my hand movements, but I'm liking this as an overall background.   I save my practice pieces in a notebook -- just like PatsyThompsonDesigns.com suggests -- you never know when a practice piece will suggest just the right effect!


8 comments:

  1. Your practice pieces look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with the circles--I get impatient and move too fast.
    Haven't tried the freehand baptist fans. It scares me. Yours look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work, Elaine! Those circles look like old world cobblestone streets and I think that they are very classy! I love your picture of the waxwings bending their elbows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your circles look great! I like the Baptist fans also. That's one I keep meaning to try, and need to pull out a practice quilt sandwich and do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun to see your practice piece! I found when trying pebbles that I NEEDED some contrast between thread and fabric otherwise I couldn't see a thing of where my circles were going!! Hope you have more luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. About how large are the baptist fans? I am thinking that might make a nice background too, depending on scale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life Takes a Turn (above) (your message came as "No reply"
    ----
    I kept them fairly small, since my machine space is "small" .. I used the circle on my foot to kinda guage the size, so I'm guessing about 3 inches. I have found that it's hard for me to make an attractive LARGER baptist fan. Incidentally, what you see on my photo is my FIRST effort, so you know it wasn't difficult. Those fans can also be made pointy (like an arc) or square on the end or ??? on the corners - it's amazing how diff. they can look with the smallest of adjustments!

    Yes, I think they will make a GREAT background!

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh. Your circles (I call them pebbles) look great! I started in making some on a big quilt and mine were so lopsided and kept getting smaller and smaller that I took them all out (two hours of ripping). Of course if I'd been smart and practiced like you...

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.