Monday, November 26, 2012

"1448", Machine Quilting Stitches on a DSM

Over Thanksgiving moments, I was able to finish my recent small quilt, (see previous post of whole quilt on fence) "1448" so named because that is how many pieces are in it.  It was made using only gifted fabrics and stash, and I pieced the batting - my gosh, Mom and Grandma, (I am thinking of you with love AND respect)  I hope you notice that your lessons of frugality, have "taken!!"

When I was new at DSM quilting, a number of bloggers asked me for "help" with stitches, ideas, designs, or suggestions, etc., so here are a few closeups of various quilting I did on this quilt.  Since it's a very straightforward "sensible" little quilt, I kept my stitches "sensible". 

The "jaggedy" stitching in the dark area was fun, as I had lively music playing, helping to keep the rhythm.  It works well for me to always do an extra stitch before I change directions - that keeps the stitches neat and sharp at corners.  I did loops and hearts/leaves in the lights and short jaggedy lines in the dark.  Around the edges in the triangle areas I did a feathery-viney thingy.

These squares finish at 1 1/4 inch.  I had purchased a DVD from Jackie Robinson, demonstrating her technique called Strip and Slash and watched it numerous times for both inspiration and relaxation. 






9 comments:

  1. I am always interested when you show your DSM quilting. Gives others of us "wanna bees" hope! Just last week I quilted a toddler bed quilt (I guess slightly larger than crib) and was more pleased than I usually am. One problem I struggle with is the back tension is not as good as the front. I tinkered with the dials this time and improved it, but I think I am going too fast around curves, but I don't know if that is the issue. My Bernina 440 is due for a service visit so will mention to Dr Stitch as he is called. I would love to watch you actually quilting if you ever have opportunity to video. But I really appreciate your sharing your DSM quilted pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate seeing the stitches you use. Choosing stitches is the hardest part to me. It is nice to be inspired by the work of others, and you have certainly done that for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sweet little loop-de-loops in the white border. They look so smooth and even. Please consider taking off the dreadful word verification from your post settings. It makes it so difficult to comment. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful---thanks for showing us your stitching---I love seeing how you work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love to see your quilting...mine is actually so bad!! I need to practice, practice!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your finish - great quilting as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The jaggity quilting in the dark is kind of like stippling, only with corners instead of curves. I might try it. I also find that deciding what to quilt is hard to determine, so do appreciate the close up pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, another finish. Thank you for sharing. It's a darling quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking quilting! You do a nice job with your machine quilting.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.