I am a quilter - a retired woman living with my husband in the Nebraska Panhandle. We are surrounded by beautiful semi-arid ranch country, and treeless hills and fields under incredibly wide blue skies. We are located far from the upheaval found often in large towns or cities. I am blessed to have delicious time to quilt and to appreciate my peaceful moments in an unpeaceful world.
Another backing planned with 10 inch squares - this uses almost 6 yds. of perfectly good fabric! This backing takes about 2-3 hours to make, especially if the squares are cut already, something I do frequently with bits and pieces. Also, remember these 10 1/2 inch squares are pretty close to Layer Cakes that cost a LOT!!!
Basting the Quilt
The day was beautiful in western Nebraska. I swept out the garage, then set up my 2 tables, put on the extension legs all in about 5 minutes. Basting takes longer, but DH helped me and I even had large pins for him to help baste. It was a nice time, together. I use pins and spray, if I have it.
I tried using these heavy clamps on the ends and sides of the backing to hold the backing tight/taut. Each time I baste a quilt I try something different, with various results. Since a quilt is frequently longer and wider than the tables, it's not easy to find clamps that will work on the edges of tables. HOWEVER, THIS WORKED VERY WELL! It was their weight, hanging on the backing that did the job - these are expensive, but the principal is good - any kind will do if they are heavy enough. The small didn't work - not heavy enough, but the 2 larges sizes were great. I can barely open the biggest ones -- they are tough!!!, but they only have to clip onto the backing and their own weight does the job. I put 3 on a side.
Here is the blizzard the day AFTER I basted the quilt - good grief - glad I didn't wait.
Last thing, my camera quit for some odd reason. It wasn't cheap in 2006, and I dread learning how to stumble through MORE techie stuff with a new camera, downloading, etc. The camera repair place that I was bragging about a year ago, no longer fixes this version. So, coming from a family of "fixers", I spent hours on the Internet today, searching for "fixes" and voila!!!! We fixed it with alcohol, and wiping contact areas clean. Easy-Peazy! Happy Day!!!