Thursday, February 11, 2016

Donation Quilt

At our most recent All Day Sew, we had agreed to make donation quilts for local purposes.  These blocks are so easy - 2 1/2 in strips of lights and dark kid-themed fabrics.  Being enthusiastic, I made many more blocks than necessary.  At first I set them all jumbled up -- not good! -- neat rows are better this time.  This is an "Hourglass" block.   
Here is the back, with 5 extra blocks.  I used what I had for the crosswise strips, cutting them in equal size strips for some visual continuity.  Don't you just LOVE the surprise when you a quilt over to find something unexpected?

Recent days have been very warm - our snow is melting, but this pile is still huge.  As I leaned over to straighten the quilt - kersplat - I hadn't noticed the ice at snow edge.  No damage, I just felt silly and lucky. 

I machine quilt my own projects on a 10 year old Janome MC 6500. 

8 comments:

  1. Oh my, how wonderful. And such a great idea for Quilts of Valor. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! How large is the finished quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a kind heart to make and donate a quilt--truly a gift of love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very neat, and I like the spare blocks on the backside, too! It will be appreciated. ❤️ Pokey

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a great quilt! And, yes, I love a surprise on the back. However, I don't do it very often. I should dig out my orphan blocks and use them on backings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice looking quilt! We are in the deep freeze here, so please do send some warmth eastward. By the way, I don't think that you mentioned whether or not the CT quilting thread is polyester or cotton. I use poly when quilting on the rented longarm, but CT Essential Threads cotton for piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your donation quilt is great. It is wonderful that the thread you tried worked so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do you decide where to gift your charity quilts?

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.