Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Bento Box


(MUCH prettier in person!  Light turquoise, dark blue/black!)  Blahhh beige on Design Floor!  LOL

Easy to piece!  I'm aiming for 30, 12 inch blocks, altho I only have these fabrics for 20 blocks - oh well, I'll think of something.  Thank you to Fons and Porter and YouTube for this great video. 

For info ... Youtube, Fons and Porter, Bento Box.  Their example used many colors, but all of similar values.  You use whole strips (WOF), and all pieces for each block are cut from each pair of strips.  So you would use 30 pairs of strips for 30 blocks.  These are 2 1/2 in. strips, but I think other sizes would work.  I'm not sure if a scrappy palette would work.  ??  The video gives you sizes to cut.

This is what I did (suggest).  Make the block in quarters.  I made one quarter at a time - could not do much chain piecing - I got mixed up, sidetracked, interrupted and ended up pressing wrong way.  I think my mind wandered because it's so easy.  (That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!) Pressing is THE key to success.  Note that each quarter block is mostly light or mostly dark.  If the quarter block is light, press ALL seams IN.  If the quarter block is dark, Press ALL seams OUT!   (Do not consider the old adage of "press to dark"! )   It goes together like a breeze. 



5 comments:

  1. I have made the Bento box with 30 different Kaffe fabrics. It looks good in 2 colors or many colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt appears to be shimmering--very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your Bento Box. I have a darling little tin with all the fabrics and pattern in the tin to make a Bento Box quilt. I really like my little tin and the fabrics within it. I want to make the design, but not use up my lovely fabrics in the matching tin. Isn't that ridiculous? Now I can use the Fons and Porter video and make a Bento Box quilt with their directions. Thanks for the tip on the pressing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever taught classes? I think that your humor alone would be a great incentive to learning! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. I would like to try making one. It looks easy enough for a charity quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.