Sunday, August 06, 2017

QAYG, "Critter Comfort"

QAYG is a great technique to use up fabric bits (in case no one ever told you!).  It also eliminates the final quilting as it is machine quilted by sewing strings to the precut backing/batting pieces.  The backing pieces were already cut, cutting the batting pieces went fast, and sewing the kids prints/strings took 3 days - that's all.

Back in the '80s -- (that would be the previous century!!!!), I learned Quilt as you Go, from Georgia Bonesteel, the only quilt program  available on TV.  It was aired on the Public TV, coming from North Carolina.  She is responsible for this lovely addiction!

I'm trying this method, slightly modified from the original.  Many tutorials are available all over YouTube.  I've used strings, and the sewing goes to the edges of the block, and I will machine sew very narrow sashing to front and back, between the blocks.  That's the plan, but have NOT started that part yet.  Here are 49 blocks that are trimmed to 8 1/4 inch.  The only constant is the white diagonal.   I DID make a dent in my kids prints hoard as well as my batting scraps!  Blocks will be set 6 x 8 (one extra).  Some of the blocks look clever together, most are accidental - the white center strip gives the blocks continuity.  Bbacking squares are a variety of fabric.  



Here is kinda what they might look like when putting 4 together, without sashing for now.  Note, the cats and the cat food cans!  Toooooo cute!  
One fabric of green polka dots and monkeys was given to me by Kathy, a fellow resident and quilter, who passed away unexpectedly recently.  Thank you Kathy - I used it for good purpose.  

2 comments:

  1. This will be a very fun quilt!
    Do you make sure all of the squares have the same kind of batting, or do you worry about that at all?
    I really like the string blocks with a constant center fabric like this.
    Somewhere in the depths of my UFO closet is a box with a sting project. It isn't QAYG, but I have a constant center fabric of black.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love making I spy quilts. I have a center pieced, and 2 tops ready to quilt.

    What color are you going to use for your fabric to attach the blocks to each other? Are the strips sewn down by hand?

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.