Monday, December 16, 2019

Playing with Cats Cradle Ruler

(Edited 2 days later to correct info regarding 2 different sizes of rulers.)
I needed "something" to play with, and bought the Cats Cradle Ruler, the smaller size.    Previous to using this ruler, my Cats Cradle blocks went together slowly and perfectly fine, but yes, the ruler speeds up production and guarantees accuracy.   The finished size units go up to 4 inches.  (There is another ruler for larger size blocks and it's also a different shape - it's triangular. ) The cut sizes needed on my square ruler are printed right on the ruler, and it also came with a printed set of paper instructions - you don't need a book but it's nice to have.  This block finished with sashings was made with units that finished 3 inches.  hmmmm looking like a lot of work for small unit sizes.

Cutting and sewing one unit at a time is ridiculously time consuming and after making 2-3 units, one at a time, it was apparent I needed to come up with strip piecing and cutting.  Notice below, the finished 3 inch, and the larger 4 inch which I decided would go a little faster.
I seldom use a book for instructions but DO love the graphics and finished quilts in books.  This particular book includes instructions for this smaller Cats Cradle ruler.   I usually glance at the photos and then take off on my own, never studying the instructions.   Be sure you recognize that the other ruler designed for larger blocks (triangular) probably requires a different book if you are following instructions.   One other thing, this Cat's Cradle block used to be called something else to our Moms and Grandmas, possibly Shaded something or other.
This is the book I bought and have started on a quilt inspired by the cover photo.  I'm using scraps, in  multiples of 4 at a time, with some effort towards balance, mostly in red, white and blues.
I wish all of you Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

3 comments:

  1. I've not heard of this ruler before. Turned out pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds think alike -- I bought the larger version of this ruler as part of my MIL's Kringle gift. She has a half done BOM she got in a guild UFO swap that has a block that uses this unit. Personally, I use Deb Tucker's strip pieced "Shaded 4-Patch" method that uses her Tucker Trimmer ruler to make this unit. Karen Brown of "Just Get It Done Quilts" recently did a video on how to do an 8-At-A-Time method. As they say, so many ways to skin a Cat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. when I saw the picture of Deb's book I realized I had bought it back in 2015 when she still had her quilt shop in Franklin N.C. she since sold it in 2016 and I occasionally visit there. such a nice shop.
    I had bought at book and the small ruler from Deb back then and promptly shelved it with all my other quilt books.
    it took a few minutes but I found it. It's time to get some fabric and use this ruler and book.
    Thanks for the inspiration
    Joan Garland in Georgia

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.