Friday, June 22, 2007

Deer template


This worked pretty well. My quilt is very forest-y themed. The space above the border is mushrooms and grasses, then a vine, then ???? I tend not to know what I'm doing to do until I'm doing it (no comments please - after all, we are artists of sorts and are allowed free style!).

I drew 2 different deer, and the best part about these plastic templates is that you can turn them over and get 2 images for the price of one! I purchased a new kind of inexpensive chalk pencil that holds up pretty well. The chalk is hard and sharp, and stays on the fabric well while I'm quilting. My first efforts are quite acceptable. The deer are from a book of continuous line patterns.

For those of you who are afraid to try these continuous line patterns, you know, you don't have to be exact - after all, it's a representation, not an exact duplicate. Unless you are shooting for First Place, absolutely NO ONE is going to follow your stitching, stitch by stitch, and call the quilt police to authenticate your stitches. DONE is good and I'm getting close to DONE.

10 comments:

  1. oooo... I can't wait to see the whole quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! Is that new pencil a soapstone by any chance? I just got one, and it makes a nice crisp line, and the point holds it's shape. Goos pens are hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely in the little bit you're showing us. Do you have trouble getting the lines out after you quilt?
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. This seems like a very clever idea to me. I bet the finished quilt is going to look great. It is hard to find a pencil you really like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the deer. Very well drawn! I am very curious about the chalk. Where did you get it and can you show us what it looks like?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the look of that deer! And yes, curious about the chalk too.
    And yes, DONE is better than excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You continue to amaze and inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those deer are going to look fantastic -- and you're right, done is done! I'm curious about the chalk pen too -- I'm always on the lookout for good marking solutions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool quilting template, well done-Does the dove make you a grandma? Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful deer, Elaine! You've done an outstanding job, as usual! :D Thanks for the sneak preview, I can't wait to see the whole quilt!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.