Friday, November 28, 2014

Spiderweb Quilt

Basting issues are DONE!
Camera issues are DONE!
Sewing machine issues are DONE!
Food preps are DONE! 
I quilted the borders differently, just for fun, since the quilt itself is almost humorous, and because it's good to keep practicing.  Two borders are very casual feathers or hearts.  Then I became bored with that design and changed the last two borders  LOL

This one is leafy, viney, curlyques with a red/brown variegated thread.

This quilt back needed rebasting a second time -- not fun but the extra effort ended up positive.  Here is the back - I wanted to make diagonal binding as well as use it for the backing. 
Below is on the deck, where I like to just look at it, knowing I had numerous issues, yet did not give up.  The yard is pretty drab, isn't it?

I'm using a new "system" for this post, on the laptop, and transferring the photos via disk.  That might not sound like much of an accomplishment, but it turned out to be waaaay more than simple!   I'm still working at it!     I thought this photo was cropped. 

Another border - simple paisley teardrops, following an implied, chalked line. Spiderweb quilting design in light areas. 

Friday, November 21, 2014

More lessons to learn

Oh boy, new photo system, new to this computer, new to this brain!!!  Old camera (2006) not functioning as I remembered it used to, and I had been using an old 2003 Windows XP desktop in the past, but for now, it is not cooperating.  The little camera disc is also not reading to this newer laptop, not sure what to do about that, but I was happy to find out the camera cable will connect to this gadget - I DO  have a brand new rechargeable battery in the camera and that part is now making the camera work properly.  Duhhh, I didn't realize I was supposed to purchase new rechargeable batteries.  My camera is a Kodak -- rechargeable batteries were not easy to find.  However, my friend Fern directed me to, I called the Ft. Collins franchise, and they mailed me what I needed. 

Does anyone have suggestions as to why my camera disc won't read on this new laptop?  It used to a year ago, when last I tried it.  The laptop recognizes it is "there" but I get an "error".  Perhaps because the previous battery was dead it damaged something to the disc?

Now, I just need to figure how to wander thru this new interface.  It was not as difficult as I had imagined. 
 I was asked to make a small quilt for an auction.  I called it "Gifts" meaning we all have gifts to offer not just the kinds that we wrap up.  It's about 38" x 40", and would be artfully positioned in a small antique sled.  I quilted winding ribbons all over it first in one thread, then another. 

Time was short so I started with a lovely Moda Charm Pack - I have never done that before.  What a time saver! 

The feathers on the outside border were easy.  My friend Jody calls them "fat ladies on a barstool"!  LOL

The backing was PERFECT. 

Below is my Scrappy Spider Web I've been working on between machine problems.  Did ya ever have whole months when NOTHING was working properly?  Ok, got that fixed, and improved my stitching issues with Sewers Aid liquid lubricant.  What a great improvement THAT made! 

The first spider webs were in a creamy tan thread - didn't look quite right, so I changed to a white shiny poly that had some silvery look to it - much better. 
I deserve a GOLD STAR after struggling with a variety of geekie issues.  I stuck with it, didn't cry, didn't curse and swear, and didn't give up!  8-))))  I am woman, hear me roar!!!!! 8-)))

Friday, November 07, 2014

Tumalo Trails, an Auction gift, and an Apron Idea

Last weekend was our Guild 3-day Retreat, and I was able to get these blocks together in rows. They were inspired by Bonnie Hunter's Tumalo Trails.  48 blocks, set 6 x 8, blocks finished 9 inches.  A while back, I had started making a gazillion small 9 patches, and someone gave me an extra large plaid shirt, knowing I used them in quilts.  The items were both piled on my sewing table, and suddenly it hit me, "Elaine, use that shirt with the 9-patches!"  I renamed my project "Cowboy Up".

Below is a small quilt made for an auction in about 10 days.  I machine quilted an overall ribbon, covering the quilt 2 times with 2 different threads.  Hint - if you do this with 2 different threads, be sure and quilt with the darkest one first - a light thread first (in this case) made it difficult to follow with the second stitches!  I'm pleased with the end result (not shown in the photo).  This was the first time I purchased a coordinated set of charms - oh my, that made fabric choices so easy!  I added a few charms of my own, given or won from other Guild members.  This little quilt is about 40 x 44 in.

Below is a clever apron idea by Tina, a friend and Guild member who was also at the Retreat.  Those light patches are family recipes, now printed on fabric - what a great idea.  The handwriting is clear, and even the fingerprint smudges from the recipe cards are included on the patches.  She's making several for family members, who might even recognize their own fingerprint smudges on family favorite recipes!