Monday, April 15, 2019

"Slim Pickin's" - from that box of scraps

These blocks were started about 2 months ago, and are from Bonnie Hunter's latest book, she calls hers "Daybreak".  They went fast, and yes, I pulled much of the fabric from that never-ending gift box of scraps I keep mentioning.  This is 1 project of 6 from that gift box.  (3 others in process)  

Yesterday I spent hours struggling with "the perfect" border, rummaging thru books, Youtube and my brain, all to no avail.  In the end, best solution was, "Keep it simple Stupid"!  The supply of scraps was nearly totally picked over so that's why I named this quilt "Slim Pickin's".  Off to the LQS to match some of the border fabrics!    These border squares are 1 inch finished and I strip pieced them with 4 strips at a time, sometimes piecing the strips to get the needed lengths.  Important - press to the dark on each strata and they go together fast.  

The blocks are set 6 x 7 , and are 9 in. finished.  Here it's folded up on itself - too large for my Design Floor!

Friday, April 12, 2019

"Scraps Rule"

(I MQ on a DSM).  This is the 3rd, finished project from the gifted, never ending box of scraps.  Projects 4, 5, and 6, are in process!!!  

DONE - I used my "stuck-in-the-house" time well (2 blizzards), finishing up this quilt, called "Scraps Rule".  I used rulers on the lights and free-motion quilting on the dark.  Opinion on ruler work ... ??? this is new to me, and it did slow my progress considerably, altho I got faster.  I bought one thick ruler just for this project, but used a traditional 2.5 x 6 in. ruler for the most part.  The MQ foot that I use glides, does not hop, so my traditional quilting ruler (thin) worked well.  I actually broke my expensive MQ ruler somehow, didn't break the needle, just the ruler!  ARGH !  I glued it back together and still wonder how it happened.  The machine quilting foot apparatus somehow came into contact with that thick ruler and WHAM BAM!!! so I'm guessing I put the thick ruler in the wrong place at the wrong time.  

The large triangles are 60 degrees, and the smaller triangles are made with the Tri-Recs ruler.  The quilt measures approx. 70" x 80".

The finished product is visually pleasing, altho my ruler work leaves much to be desired - no quilt show winner here, yet I consider it's completion an accomplishment, considering the lengthy practicing, rethreading, unsewing, sighs of frustration.  I also learned my machine does NOT like to sew in a backward direction when machine quilting.

Here's the back, again making use of stash fabric.  It's "almost" perfectly square. 

This was inspired by, a free pattern, altho I always end up going in my own direction, once I get "the bug".  Thank you Bonnie Hunter for her fabulous, never-ending ideas. 

Tip on making a backing like this.  I used MSWord to make a graph with the required visual dimensions, then print it out, color in what squares I have to verify I have enuf of each value.  It's worthwhile to consider half squares around the borders. Of course you can just lay them out where they fall but I wanted a defined pattern.  Alternating lights and darks would also be cool, or a kind of Trip Around the World or .... and remember you can piece those backing squares as well, or use leftover blocks or ...