Friday, June 01, 2007

Disreputable!

Time for replacement? How can any person keep something so disreputable! I’ve kept this tote on my closet door for umpteen years. This is where I stash my hand washables – it has definitely seen better days! The edges are frayed, the handle has the stuffing falling out. The other side is a Hen and Chicks block. This tote goes back to Quilt-As-You-Go, with Georgia Bonesteel, the first quilting person I ever saw on TV. I was mesmerized watching her cut and sew and quilt! Little did I know my fascination would keep me occupied for over 25 years!

I’m making 2-12 inch blocks to come up with something a bit more appealing. This is the Double T, or sometimes called the Temperance Block. Usually I use very bright contrasting colors but challenged myself to do something softer.

The ruler is called a Flying Geese ruler - oh yes, something else to purchase! And I bought the book also! There is no waste to this technique. However, you really don’t need the ruler - I’ve seen the technique in various places on the net. Plain old measurements will work, but I DID use the ruler on this Temperance Block.

6 comments:

  1. I love that ruler (and blogged about it a while back). You're right, you don't need the ruler. Once in a while I try to buy something from someone to support a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your block, and yes, I think it's time to retire the other bag ;0P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a well-loved tote -- maybe it will go off and become the handbag of the velveteen rabbit! (Remember that children's story?)

    It's so wonderful to be able to watch the dove's nest. I do hope you can keep those jays away!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a gadget person so I always want new things like the ruler even if I don't really need them. The new bag is going to be very cute. Love the soft colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that ruler and book! I spent time and energy searching the world for both. Have I EVER used either one????? Hmmmmmmmmmm..........NO!!!!!! I keep thnking some day, some day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started quilting with Georgia Bonesteel too. Her show was on at an inopportune time so that was why I bought our very first VCR: to record a quilting show!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.