Friday, June 01, 2007

Eggs in the Nest



She has eggs! Look hard - those light areas in the center are the eggs - but I can't get close enough to count them. We noticed them 6 days ago, but she sticks on that nest, virtually 24-7! Sometimes I look in and can barely see – her soft plumage melts into the foliage.

The blue jays are always around, and blue jays are baby-bird killers. I’ve seen them flying with little bodies in their beaks, so we want to watch closely when the doves hatch. Hope our watchfulness will help them raise this brood.

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, you lucky gal! What a priviledge you have to watch her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bird's nests. Beautiful evergreen. Nature is an awesome thing. You wonder how a bird ever makes it into the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once had a very determined cat that was almost pecked to death by bluejays! How fun to have a birds nest to watch. When I was little there was a bird's nest every summer in an old railway tie that was used as a fence post - we could just peek into the crack and SEE the baby birds, but couldn't actually touch them (probably a good thing back then!) - it was always so exciting!

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.