Sunday, June 24, 2007

Installment Two, Scrappy Rebuilt Log Cabin


OK, above is your block pressed, with messy edges. At this point I'm thinking wider logs might have been a better choice, but this is what I did, so I'll live with it.

Next (above), I trimmed this block to 10 1/2 inches. That was tight! But since my logs were narrow, if I trimmed to 10 inches, I would be up against the seam line when sewing the blocks together

Just look at them laid out. This was just one setting.

Below is what your corners may look like. (This is another project - not the same blocks, but you know they look like the same fabric! -- and, I took the photo against the bed quilt in the background - kinda hard to see where one project begins and ends.) There is NO rhyme or reason to how your corners will look. A little lumpy, yes - get over it and don't tell the Quilt Police. Those lumps get buried in the batting. And, it will definitely be machine quilted, with all those seams.

I posted 2 of these type quilts in September 2006, probably before I was connected to Bloglines, so you may not have seen 2 finished Rebuilt Log Cabins.

If you make one of these, or just make 4 blocks for a table runner, I would LOVE to see them. Remember, this is a great Stashbuster, not a quilt made by the rules!

26 comments:

  1. I think I need to move to The Nebraska Panhandle...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of this one.
    THanks for the picture of the pencil. I'll try to find one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, be still my heart. I love it Elaine!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really fun! Thanks for the details, and also for showing the pencil.

    You can get lots of photos into one post, you just have to load them no more than 4 at a time. As you add them, they will show up ABOVE the ones you loaded first (why do they do that?). So plan for that, or else go into the HTML tab (right next to compose), grab the photo HTML and move it where you want it. Sounds more complicated than it is!

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh -- what a fun variation on the log cabin and it looks fantastic so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun - and a great way to use up your scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Elaine, I LOVE that!!! I wanna try it too!!! LOL It makes such an interesting pattern! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this! Now the question is can I remember how you did it when I finally get around to trying it?? If you did your strips larger, what would you recommend for the size of the square when you cut it? Its great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never heard of a rebuilt log cabin. It is very cool! Nice job with the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tutorial, & love the results of that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for posting the tutorial! This is definitely a "must do" project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's an interesting block Elaine. They look good all together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I love this! And oh man, do I ever have the scraps to do something like this...

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an interesting way to change the look of the blocks - very creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a bautifull way to make Log Cabin blocks.I think it is so wounderfull to go to the blog and see what all of you are doing...Be sure I'll be back.Your works are beautifull.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Elaine,
    I love this idea, I can't wait to see what you ultimately do with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have two words for you. Well actually two phrases....LOVE IT! and THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Elaine, what a wonderful, inventive way to use your scraps! I love the idea and the look of the outcome. Way to go! Your wanting to sew really paid off this time. I have those same "gotta sew, can't be bothered cutting today days". Good to have cut stuff on hand, isn't it??? Neat pencil by the way, looks like it works well. Hugs, Finn

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just found your blog - I LOVE this quilt! Will add you to my reader so I can keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. the log cabin is very original, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That method makes a terrific looking quilt! Thanks for sharing the 'how to' and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the idea of a scrappy log cabin. I am aiming to have a go once I've caught up on myself which, sadly, will be a long time coming. About time I made a quilt for ME!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these blocks ... they make me want to build log cabin blocks just so I can rebuild them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. hell o Darling from Genève(Switzerland) I like your
    nice idee for log cabin I do also patchwork and appliqué we have a club and making exibition every
    3 years bye bye my dear and next time looking your blog

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this version of log cabin! Maybe I'll do one for myself?

    Inga

    ReplyDelete
  26. Elaine, I love your log cabin rebuilt quilt. I always "liked" the log cabin pattern but your version just takes it to the next level.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.