Friday, June 15, 2007

Oldie but Goodie



Don’t laugh ... I’m suffering from sewing machine overload and need to eliminate this machine. Before it goes, I wanted to play with it a bit. It’s a little ‘stiff’ from sitting in a corner unused for 2 years.

I will tell you how I came into ownership of this old Touch and Go, Singer. I work at a church, and the ladies hold a frequent Rummage Sale. The stuff that shows up?- you wouldn’t believe it, and in no time at all, the storage room is full! During my effort to help make more space in the storage room, one of the sorting ladies found this old sewing machine, and said, “Elaine, why don’t you buy this for $5.00 to make more space for other stuff?” Now, those ladies do a lot of good work for the church, and so I forked over my $5.00 and one of the men carried it out to my car trunk where I totally forgot about it.

The next grocery shopping day, I was surprised to find this machine in the trunk, and being a believer in “ya gotta take care of stuff,” I decided to give it a try. I couldn’t make heads or tails out of its operation (no book) so I drove it to my repair facility for a tune-up and instructions. The repair shop also carries a great supply of fabric, which didn’t hurt my decision-making process!

$80.00 later I brought home a decently working sewing machine AND an Instruction Book. Among other clever features, this machine has a bobbin that you wind from the regular sewing operation - you don’t have to remove the bobbin! It has cams and zig-zag features, several throat plates, lots of gizmos in a handy storage box, and everything fits nicely in the carrying case. In it’s day, it was probably pretty great. And it’s very heavy, (yes, too heavy to haul around to classes), but that heaviness adds to it’s stability. OK, I used it for several days, and then reverted back to one of my OTHER 4 machines.

Now, I really must eliminate this machine, and hope I can find it a good home ... (because I have my eye on a Janome Gem Gold 760!) ... for classes, of course, and small enough to take on a plane).

14 comments:

  1. This made me laugh because I bought a featherweight on ebay that was delivered to work. They asked how many sewing machines I had and I said "2 more and a serger" - well, they were amazed! Personally I think it's amazing that anyone can NOT have a sewing machine! Though I can see how you might want to eliminate this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn'tyou tuck it away somewhere, you never know when the others might just take a sabatical. Maybe put an advert. in the newspaper...Loving Home Wanted ......

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeeeeaaa.....it's nice to clear stuff out and make room, but SO hard to let a machine go! There's always that niggly "what if?" voice. Pretty cool features for an oldie but goodie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you'll find someone who needs it. I only have the one machine, but I would like a snazzier one one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you take a machine on a plane? Is this small enough to be carry-on baggage, or can you check it? If you check it, do you need super dooper packaging to protect it? I've thought it might be fun to have a machine at other places for classes or for when I stay awhile, but I haven't known how to do it. Advice would be appreciated! Thanks, Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you manage to find a good home for this machine. I currently have 4 machines and wouldn't want to part with any of them (1 for everyday use, 1 lighter for taking to classes, 1 hand-crank, 1 which was my original machine bought in my early teens!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a great machine. I am sure you will be able to find a good home for it. I completely wanting to get rid of it - the less stuff there is, the less cleaning there is. Plus, if you can sell it, you have more $$ for fabric and other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your post about this faithful friend! I got a lovely Elna for $5 at a garage sale, complete with book & all the gizmos. it really is a lovely machine, & I know I have it for backup, should my Janome ever let me down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My suggestion: teach a teenager how to hem jeans with it and pass it to them! My daughter learned how to hem jeans from my mother this winter, and wows her friends with this knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my earlier machines was a yard sale find, and it weighed a ton! My poor Dad had to haul it around for me everytime I took a sewing class! When we moved - we gave it away to someone else... I bet it is still sewing like a charm somewhere!

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sure remember this machine. Singer made a huge deal out of it when it first came out because of the bobbin winding feature. Turned out there were lots of bugs that needed to be worked out of the earliest machines - I knew several people who had them and hated them. Seems like when I taught Home Ec. in the 70's that these were the type of machines we had in the classroom - but I'm not totally sure. That bobbin idea sure didn't stick around all that long - I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I learned to sew on a machine quite like this at Singer Sewing Center summer classes in my home town many, many, many, many years ago. That bobbin thingy was considered pretty swanky at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm one of those 'unhappy' Touch and Sew users! My mom got one when my Dad went to Vietnam. I got the lessons..but that ^&*%%^$ machine would not STOP when you took your foot off the pedal! It went about 8-10 stitches then would stop. My mom still has it..but I REFUSE to use it...only do hand work at her house! lolol I hope someone who wants to sew but has no machine will love on it...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh, what a nice story about your machine. I am sure you will find a loving home for it. Maybe someone learning.
    But you need a little Janome! I have the newer version, the Platinum 760. And it is the only machine I have at the moment. I Love it... Let me count the ways... lightweight, portable, computerized, needle up-down, no trouble ever, small and fits under your arm for quick getaways...
    So many reasons :)

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.