Sunday, June 03, 2007

On a roll, at least for today

Thanks so very much for all the comments about that wheelchair icon next to Word Verification when writing a comment. Each morning, I love to return to my computer to see what new information I've learned from all of you. The icon-clicking-action produces a weird recording that sounds like something played backward. A gal in German responded that hers repeats the letters shown, in German. It may be support for visual handicaps, as Bonnie suggested.

This "Star in the Forest" quilt has been basted and sandwiched for weeks, while I gathered up courage, incentive, creativity as to how to quilt it. Our quilt show theme in mid-July is "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" and I want it done by then. The quilt show winners are Viewer's Choice -- Viewers can be fickle so every year, there are surprises when winners are determined!

This is an example of my possible quilting designs. Between my quilt books, the dictionary, my yard, and my imagination, these are several designs I'm shooting for. I ALWAYS use curved lines, if possible. It helps me to practice the design on paper, or a Magna Doodle (kids toy) until I get the pattern in my head. Even after starting, the final quilting is much better and more controlled then the first. I am a firm believer in "DON'T FOLLOW THE LINES", but rather, get into the flow of things and loosen up. I hear from so many gals who claim they are afraid of this - my word, don't be afraid -- it's so simple, but keeping your hands steady and loose and flowing is NOT so easy. Like playing the piano, skill comes with practice. (I say that today, because my efforts are going well - but maybe not the next time for me!) The thread is a poly, variegated, which seemed to blend the best. I'm using it in the bobbin also.

I've decided to quilt each of the 8 segments in a different pattern. I sew on a domestic machine, Janome 6500, Memory Craft, and have had it for 18 months, with excellent results. Like any machine it has it's quirks, but nothing of great concern. It's a heavy machine, not for classes, and I think that helps it's stability.

I'm completed one segment of 8. Whew!

A little closer ... lots of unexpected turns, a few peculiar stitches, but hey, it's OK!

17 comments:

  1. Just love how it looks - the piecing and the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good to me - just shows you can get good results from a domestic machine (though you need to have the skill in the first place).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I haven't gotten past meadering and stitch-in-the-ditch, lol. SID is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know there's a Yahoo group for the Janome 6500? I have the same machine, and have learned SO MUCH from the other quilters in that group. I really recommend joining!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good. I will await the finihed quilt. Your work is great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. its looking great I admire your skill...... aubirdwoman

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the contrast between the straight edged spikes and the sweeping quilting curls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful work. The stitching just brings the quilt to life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilting on that is lovely! I know who would get my vote ... you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks wonderful! I'm working on that whole practice thing -- but these are truly lovely!

    And thanks for the tip about the magna doodle. My daugther has a "mini" one she has been carting around everywhere -- may need to get one of the bigger ones for "mommy".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks fantastic from this side of the screen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Elaine, I think it's looking good. Lots of work but so was the piecing..hang in there! Sorry to say I'm for keeping the 'old bag'...even old bags have their place...new is good but age has character and memories..*VBS* Please do let it live on and serve some purpose...plastic bags to recycle or odd mittens? Hugs, Finn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh it is looking so good! I lvoe the quilting so far!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's not just okay - it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's looking good ... keep it up! :o)

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.