Sunday, February 10, 2008

Done




Another project bites the dust, along with about 15 yards of fabric! Yeah. It's quilted (on my DSM), and ready to be folded up. Maybe I'll take it for next Show and Tell. I'm a little disappointed in the thread I used, and realize I let someone else tell me what I should have used. With a quilt that has so many very lights and very darks, I had wanted a medium blue thread, but was talked into a lovely variegated dark, and a lovely variegated light (both cotton). Since I couldn't figure a way to transition from lights to darks, I just continued with the dark, and of course, it shows every wobble. It's OK, and will be a very good usable quilt.

Somewhere in my past, I had a very nice thread, purchased from JoAnns, that had two colors intertwined. That particular color was a brown and a tan, which helped to blend a quilt that was again, dark and light. I was hoping to find it at JoAnns recently, but NO. BTW, yesterday I was at JoAnns and had a spool (1200 yds) of varigated thread in my hand at the checkout. I had my coupon in hand for the 40% discount, and before the discount it rang up to $10.18 -- FOR ONE SPOOL OF THREAD???? I put it back. When arriving home, I checked my Connecting Threads and hey, similar varigated spool is $2.95. What the hey?

This Star pattern came from Bonnie's excellent instructions - she calls hers "Star Struck." This went together very well, and even the tiny triangles were saved from the quick corners. I still have the reds, all sewn up, for another project. Thanks Bonnie!

Here's a closer shot of the swirls, and also of the back, using plaid stash fabrics. I only spent money on the thread and batting.

17 comments:

  1. Your Star Struck came out beautifully! It looks like a fun pattern to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on a wonderful finish. It looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was that blended thread maybe a Sulky? Sulky has some blended threads that are pretty nice. Love this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful Elaine! Your quilting looks great,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful "finished" quilt. I like the little row of HSTs in the border. Nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect! No one is going to see the wobbles that you see. Sometimes I agonize over something being about 1/8" off and then laugh at myself. My Nana used to always say that we are our own worst critic so I try not to do that. And the thread price? Sounds like a case of mark it up to mark it down to me - lots of stores do that to trick you into thinking that you are getting a good bargain. Goes to show - it really pays to know your prices!

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it possible to use a clear monofilament, which would only show the impression of the quilting, not the stitches themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very beautiful quilt! I am impressed you quilted it on your DSM.
    I get very irritated in JoAnns--I think it is the combination of bad fluorescent lighting and all that fleece!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You posted on another blog you recentlybound a diamond edge quilt. I am getting ready to do one. Do you have any tips for me?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quilt. The tiny triangles on the border look wonderful. I know what you mean about the thread. I've started to do major thread purchases online when I see good sales. Here in the UK a regular size spool comes to almost 10 $US!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If this quilt (quilting) really gets on your nerves, please send her my way, I'll give her a very good home. I completely love this quilt. Now quit bad mouthing her! LOL...poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously, thread is always a bugger to figure out, isn't it? I love variegated thread, but if it makes a real dramatic change like light to very dark, it looks funky on the quilt. I have something with the browns that you mentioned. I do believe it is a King Tut quilting thread, very nice quality and coloring. Superior Threads carries very good quality thread. Pricey, but then all of it is! Groan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love, love, love it! It turned out so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really beautiful. I agree about how amazingly expensive thread is now. But it sure is pretty--

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous job on the quilt ..... and I won't tell you what that thread would cost here in Canada ... you would gag for sure.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.