Friday, October 24, 2008

Quilt Retreat - Here I Come!


"Bags are packed, I'm ready to go"

Friday morning through Saturday late afternoon. Bags include fabric and tools for 3 separate projects - am I crazy? However, I HAVE learned to KISS when working on a project at a Quilt Retreat! Too much food, too much laughing, not enough sleep, etc. Just in case I run out of projects, I have included that huge box of free fabric that was given to me several weeks ago - that stays in the trunk of my car unless I get desperate! LOL

If you have not been to a quilt retreat - this is my one suggestion. The entire set-up is always 'new' to you. Your space may be limited or on the 'wrong' side of you, or the table may be too high, too low, same with chairs, or the lighting may not be to your liking. This is why I've said KISS. I tend to get discombobulated with things in the 'wrong' place. So, stay flexible, and don't expect to complete a huge amount of what you planned. However, SOME of my amazing guild 'sisters' DO manage to complete HUGE amounts of sewing!

One really great thing about THIS retreat is that the Guild has arranged to have pressing and cutting areas set up, and most of us can leave our irons and large cutting mats behind. If your retreats have not included this nicety, it is worth extra fussing to prepare this part of the setup.


I'm outta here! 8-)))

11 comments:

  1. Oh have a wonderful time Elaine! I love our guild's quilt retreats and try never to miss one. We go on Monday morning and stay until Thursday lunch. We do have a cutting area and several ironing areas but I also take a small folding table to be at an L beside my end of the banquet size table I work at and I put a small pressing board and a small iron there for the little things. And because we stay 3 nights I've learned to go to bed at my regular time. Others sew until midnight but I can't function like that - I run out of steam. And another nice thing where we go is that we are served meals in a dining area which forces us to stop at noon and 5:30 to eat. Taking that break goes a long way to keeping me from getting exhausted. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto almost to the word on what Marlene said.

    To paraphrase Lawrence Welk: "Have a wunnerful time".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go out there and have a great time!!!!! Eat lots of goodies and sew lots of stuffs. :)
    Enjoy!
    dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. ditto to everthing Marlene said. Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a timely post as I'm off to my first retreat in 2 weeks. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dontcha just love retreat. Can't wait to see your projects and hear the stories

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a good time! You'll have to clue me in, I'm not sure what KISS stands for... (It does stand for something right?)

    I loved your post about lighting the pilot light! Yep we gals can do a lot when we put our minds to it. Your husband may be sad that you found out that he wasn't having all the frustrations that he claimed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you have a wonderful time! It is so fun to have time in the company of like minded quilters!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy the retreat!!! I am just sad I can't join the fellowship time sewing at a retreat with friends. I went to a retreat a couple weeks ago it was truely a restful, Sew Peaceful, time to enjoy the art of quilting.
    take care...DEB};o

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.