Sunday, August 31, 2014

Handsome Log Cabin

I laughingly called this a "Handsome Log Cabin, and the name stuck!  It was destined for a donation quilt - now, I am not sure.  It started out so "humble-y" and my goodness, now I really LOVE it!  It's amazing how a setting can alter a design!

The border AND the columns are quilted in a variety designs.  I like ALL of them but discovered that longish straight lines in the light parts of the Log Cabin didn't work well.  (I quilt on a DSM, not easy to do straight lines!).  I removed them and re-quilted that area with shorter lines - much better - still not straight, but OK and more interesting.  

I used light thread in light half of Log Cabin, columns, dark in dark half of Log Cabin



Innies and outies, ala  www.PatsyThompsonDesigns.com  in a squarish design.  Because there was a large area, I chalked some gridlines as guides. 

Below are small paisley-type plumes. 

Here are some swirls in the dark  (complete with a thread hanging on!) 


Curly things in the light.


More curly things - some people call these "bananas".  



15 comments:

  1. This is really nice, Elaine. I love all the log cabin quilts you build. Your quilting is mahvalous, baby (I'm channeling Billy Crystal).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all the close-up pictures. Makes it easier to see all the hodge podge fabrics that play together so beautifully. Another winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! As always. Love all the different quilting patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for showing us the quilting "up close and personal". I love seeing the designs you choose.
    That is a very handsome quilt and it would be hard to donate it away. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful quilt...I would have a hard time parting with it too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow -- I am in the process of cutting reds/creams for a log cabin project (and seriously considering your rebuilt blocks).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see why you would be conflicted about donating it. WONDERFUL quilt and I love the way you quilted it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt and what a great idea to "practice" all those different types of quilting stitches!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a handsome cabin (keep it, keep it)! That's a setting I haven't seen before, I really like that, will have to take note and add that to the "To Do" list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this setting, Elaine---and I vote that you keep this one for yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What size do you cut your strips for log cabins? I like the way yours always look.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.