Saturday, December 13, 2014

Uh-ohhhh! Drat!!!!

Drat that border - LOL

... it has to be right to make the corners turn correctly (oops, not shown!).  I didn't plan that spacing for hours to leave it with that error!!!



My solution was to add two more vertical strips (1 1/2 inches each, fin.) which then made the border 3 inches too long, so then I went over every vertical seam, sewing a hair deeper each time until finally, it fits.  This is border #3, and I have half of #4 yet to do ... uhhh ran out of fabric .... off to quilt shop...they had what I needed.  The corners turn beautifully!  8-)) 

BTW - I have used Judy Martin and Marsha McCloskey's wonderful book for almost 15 years, PIECED BORDERS, The Complete Resource - for border ideas.  I've never even copied the plans, just used them for inspiration. 

7 comments:

  1. I'll bet that was such a relief when things finally fit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that book too! It is one of the ones I kept during a purge of my sewing library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made very many pieced borders - until I made one of Bonnie Hunter's quilts that had one. Usually I was so happy to get to that part that I didn't want to do any more piecing. Yours looks really good! I'm going to look up that book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire pieced borders. I have books about them. I have gone to classes to learn more. But all too frequently I want to git 'er done and I settle for boring slab borders. (Maybe "livelier borders" would be a good resolution for 2015.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice border :) I'm going to have to play with the seams on my pieced swag border for my Ruffled Roses, too, I think. It's all part of the adventure! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smart save!...I like pieced borders too..I like the added interest....Are we ready for tomorrow morning?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beautiful quilt top completed. Great job in making the borders work.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.