This is the back of my Mom's GFG quilt, that sat on a wood shelf for toooo long, being "saved for good". Upon inspection, the acids had eaten clear thru - front to back, a person could see daylight thru the damage.
Mom made it in 1936-37, as a young woman of 21, awaiting her first child, Kristin, when my parents lived in Chicago. We think the lively prints came from garments that her SIL made, Kate, for her little girls.
I had it for about 10 years before tackling the repair job, thinking it was "too hard." It lingered for about 10 years, but one day in 2014, I jumped in and DID it! And I heard my Mother saying, "It's never has hard as you think it is!"
This is the back - it's not perfect, just repaired. The fold line was extremely weak or damaged, so I added an entire backing and batting across the quilt. I quilted thru all the damaged area to hold the backing on, and more quilting thru the new rosettes I had replaced on the front. I did not want to remove old parts, nor remove Mom's hand quilting. Yes, it's a little lumpy - that's OK, I'm also little lumpy, yet still useful.
(Below) New rosette on the left, with yellow print around the light green.
Later during repairs, I noticed that Mom had solid fabric around the yellow center, then a print. That's OK. It's done.
I added a new binding, washed it twice on gentle with my "homemade laundry soap."
Mom would be happy.