Saturday, October 03, 2015

LOTS of Machine Quilting on Tumalo Trails/Cowboy Up

I have been machine quilting on my Janome MC6500 every day, for 20 minutes or so each time, several times a day for the past month or so.  I change positions, so as not to strain shoulders and neck.  There are 48 blocks in this quilt, by Bonnie Hunter/Quiltville.com.  She calls hers Tumalo Trails, and I call mine Cowboy Up, because I think it looks like cowboys, big skies, plaid shirts, etc.  It is HUGE, over 86 x 106 or so.

I MQ'ed each block separately in the entire row with the same motif.  Sashing will be quilted simply and separately.  This first photo below was done using the Janome Convertible clear plastic foot, with the red guidelines.  This is the first time I've been successful - it helped tremendously to have my machine cooperating again.  Since I am also in love with scrappy multicolor quilts, my "backtracking" shows in many places.  The thread is a soft muted cotton medium blue/grey.  There is NO thread in the world that would blend with all the lights and darks.  However, I am reasonably happy with the end result. 


This one (below) has a charming floral posey-like motif.  It can be resized, reformed, pulled pushed to whatever space available.  This idea is from Christina Cameli, author of one of my new best favorite books. 
 I used 3 or 4 of her ideas in this quilt.  She also has several other ideas on YouTube, a web site called A Few Scraps  Her designs are fresh, casual, and the ones I liked best are friendly, outdoorsy, and informal, especially suitable for this project. 


I LOVED this motif - so versatile!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt and free-motion quilting. I too enjoy Christina's FMQ motifs, books, tutorials, blogs and classes. A very talented person and great teacher.

    QuiltShopGal
    www.quiltshopgal.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're an inspiration! I have a Janome 6600 and plan to make 2016 the year I stop quilting by check!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I follow Christina's blog and love this design! I will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your blog frequently and love it. I learned a lot from you and even started quilting with my regular machine. Without your blog I would not have thought about it. And for the first time tried pieced back from my stash. Great idea. Thank you for everything and have a great fall.
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Elaine, your quilting is Beautiful...and I Love the design...I tend to quilt more organic motifs too.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.