Sunday, November 19, 2017

"Critter Comforts #2", (another QAYG)

I still had more animal prints, more kids prints, more batting scraps, and more fabrics for backing squares so I'm making another QAYG, this time, a bit more girly, (more pinks).  Finished blocks (trimmed) are 8.5 in.  They are 6 x 8, a good size kids quilt.  Honestly, this has been pure fun!   It only me about 1-2 weeks.  I put one row together with sashing in less than one hour this morning.  I was VERY neat and precise, and the stitches on back fell neatly OFF the sashings, like I wanted.   If you've made this version of QAYG, you probably know what I'm talking about.  Keep your iron hot and ready. 

My method is from a YouTube video from Erica Selman who says hers was from Leah Day. 

Here is my stack of finished blocks - even tho the strings were fairly randomly sewn, I did arrange them with a little order, and always white down the diagonal center.  When preparing to sew, I pinned the each rows together, and pinned a number on upper left for the appropriate row.  Stay organized - there is a lot of flipping back and forth during construction and it is easy to get them out of order.  I also had my variety of backing squares carefully planned and orderly,  but then the front was too chaotic, so I gave up on the back symmetry and concentrated on the front looking good.  It will be a surprise when I turn it all over! 

Strips on front (white) are cut 1.5 in., folded/pressed in half, and back strips (pink) are  cut 1 inch.   
One row, done.  My garden gnome says it's looking good.   

3 comments:

  1. I love it...love, love!! I made a quilt as you go, and mine was not as neat as yours, but I liked it anyway. Very pretty pinks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this takes me back to one I did (took a class at a LQS) and how fun it was! Your's looks great! Mine was very scrappy if I remember right. Makes me want to do another more color coordinated--like the idea of a white strip across the centers of all. Thanks for giving your source. I just watched her 2 videos on Youtube. Had not heard of her and she did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! I love scrap quilts, especially strip quilts.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.