Monday, February 25, 2008

The Great Great Aunts - Crossing the Atlantic Ocean


As a young girl, at family gatherings, I remember watching the “old ladies” do their quiet magic with crochet hooks. I was fascinated watching the quickness of their fingers, hearing the gentle clicking of their crochet hooks and marveling at the beautiful and intricate finished projects. Even to a child, it was magic. They sat quietly in corners, always being useful, keeping hands busy, and working intently on their intricate projects.

My grandmother was one of those crocheting ladies. Grandma died at age 99, about 30 years ago, and she told me this story, about HER great aunts.

“They were leaving Germany, for political, or economic reasons. This would be a long journey, on a clipper ship -- to unknown places -- you know, ships had only sails in the mid 1800s, and it might take 6-8 weeks if weather was good, but longer, if weather did not cooperate. For this particular group of immigrant ladies, somewhere along the way, the story goes, they were tragically becalmed (no wind) for many weeks. "

As she told me the story, I piped in something about, “the poor things, “starvation”, “scurvy” “how terrible” “what did they do?”, etc. Her response was unexpected ...

“Becalmed? Starving? It was MUCH WORSE than that!!!”

Even worse than “starving”???

“Yes, much worse,” she answered, ”They ran out of crochet thread!”

24 comments:

  1. Oh, that is such a good story! Sistahs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great story. Thank you.
    You must get this in written down or journaled. These stories have got to be handed down or will be lost forever! It is a wonderful way of families connecting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geesh...you crack me up! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a great story. What do you think would have happened if they were quilters and ran out of thread?

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol, what a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a riot. Makes you keep things in perspective, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Guess us girls haven't changed through the generations, have we! (And I doubt we ever will.) That's a great story, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a real story teller. I hope you journal or write down your stories. I also enjoyed the story about your husband's fall and the doggie poo. Not that I enjoyed your husband's fall! I was laughing and reading it to my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a great story. I can imagine that it would be similar to losing your internet connection now. Throw the whole rest of the trip off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great story. I wish I had stories like that. yvmzfcgh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a great story *s* Family lore is really a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've probably gotten this before, but -- you're tagged. I'd like to learn more about the people behind the blogs I enjoy so hope you participate. If you've already been tagged a bunch, please feel free to opt out. The rules are on itsthecatshouse.blogspot.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ran out of crochet thread? Whaaa? Is that possible? I think I would have started unraveling my clothing to be able crochet with something!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful story. Just found your blog. Enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is hilarious! I think I can relate! If I ever am stranded somewhere I want a thread, yarn, something, to keep me occupied!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those old timers were gutsy, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that story. I can relate too :0). I also loved your story about your walk...I was laughing so hard I woke up my husband. Hehehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. you did it again, make me laugh out loud!! THANKS!
    Josephine from Holland

    ReplyDelete
  20. I burst out laughing! I have posted about family today too. Not the same sort of post, mind you!
    The Granny I refer to would have felt the loss of thread. She did the most beautiful intricate crochet, & embroidery. I am so lucky to have some of it today.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Until my grandmother died at 93, I had to have a friend from England send her a stash of crochet thread because "what they sell here is not fit to tie newspapers."

    Funny story!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love that! and we whine because we don't have every little thing we need. hehehe!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How devastating to run out of crochet thread, that would be like us running out of fabric...lol

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved the story.I laughed out loud as well.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.