Monday, March 10, 2008

A great book - and talking a lot


A few of you have asked questions about how to do this border. First, remember that this border is on the diagonal - handle with care. I will stabilize the inner part along a straight-of-grain border and stabilize the outer edge with stay stitching. And note that matching the corners will be a teensy bit fiddly! No mitered corners, darn it!

I used 5 strips of WOF at 1.91 inches, sewed them together and then cut the strata in half. This makes them easier to handle. Half are pressed up, the other half pressed down, to help butt them neatly.

Then I cut them in 1.91 inch strips. If you lay them together, face to face, and off set them one step down (or up) they will already be together for sewing. One strata of WOF gave me about 40 inches of border.

Now, you are probably thinking this is taking a LOT of time -- NOT. I cut my 5 strips of each color, sewed all of them together, and recut one strata into 1.91 inch strips, sewed them together, and had 40 inches of border, in about 2 hours. Also, this is NOT difficult, nor tedious. Just cut carefully and each square fits neatly. I am a casual sewist - NOT a perfectionist, and this is EASY and accurate sewing.

This particular book is really EXCELLENT for border ideas - you can't read it all at one sitting, and Judy Martin and Marsha McCloskey are detailed technicians. The border illustrations go on for many pages, and include squares, rectangles, triangles, flying geese, etc. Your head will be spinning with new ideas. My favorite part are the illustrations, showing how the blocks travel gracefully around corners.

Below is just ONE page and you can see the plethora of just squares. I heartily recommend this book. And, even though she gives templates, there are also cutting instructions for strips. Reading through it all is an accomplishment in itself! The complexities for the triangles and dog-teeth are amazing! You can find something easy or difficult.

Now, on the subject of squares for borders -- A long time ago, when just starting my blog, I included this border idea. Note that these squares are NOT on the diagonal, although the design is. Sometimes the simplest of ideas can bring amazing results!

And just LOOK what you can do with squares for a border! I made this border after learning how to do Bonnie's scrappy bargello! My, my, ideas flow, don't they?

10 comments:

  1. Your borders are just stunning but Good grief! With my border phobia this book is giving me the willies!!! I'm just going to have to settle for plain ole' borders and enjoy (immensely, I might add) looking at your fancy ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your borders are great for your spool quilt. I have the same borders book and it is really good. I like your blue quilt as well. Very visually stimulating. And just think, the border is only squares. But what squares!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Elaine! Your borders are wonderful! That scrappy bargello idea--what a great idea. It looks so complex, but it's just squares...really great. Thanks for the lesson! Gosh, I am a HUGE fan of Marsha McCloskey and I didn't know she co-authored that one. I think I need that one....yep...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG terrifying! I will have to get up at 5am, & read very slowly!! you lost me at about sentence 2!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the tip about the book. I saw it once as a beginner and passed it up as too hard for me *s* A couple of years back, I decided I was ready and couldn't remember for the life of me anything about it . . . except that I wanted it.
    Your border is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This might sound like a stupid question but how do you cut a 1.91 strip? Is that measurement on the ruler? Do you mark your ruler for that measurement? Just curious. Terry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I am certainly impressed. I sometimes think I want to do a pieced border, or an applique border, but generally when I get to that part of the quilt, I just want to get it done. I've done checkerboards, and piano keys, and I think one that was more complicated, and know I want to do more. That bargello looks like something I can do. I will definitely have to hunt up this book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That border you did is just amazing!! I've really got to get that book now!! Great job!
    dawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. All those borders are fantastic. You just sold a book! I'll make a note of that for the next time I'm at a fabric store, book store, etc. in the States. And I'll have to check out Bonnie's bargello too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea for a border--the scrappy bargello one. Also love your border for the spools one, tho still unclear why the funny figures were necessary? I mean, what if the finished thing turned out to be a funny measurement, but the measuring would have been simpler? No doubt i'm missing something key here.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.